VMware Cloud Community
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe within retry period when trying to access it from outside the network.

Hello all.

I am trying to access my VM from outside the network. This is a home lab kind of environment. I want to install ubuntu, but I need access to the console to do so. This is proving to be difficult because I keep getting the error above when I am trying to access the remote console for my guest OS.

I appreciate all your help.

I'm using ESXi 5.5

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It turns out that when setting up port forwarding, I cannot specify a specific wan port that i want. It HAS to be 902. That's when the console will work. I cannot specify what port I want the console to communicate through.

Thanks all for your replies

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need TCP port 902 open to reach the ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Those ports are already enabled on the ESXi server. I went to the firewall of the ESXi and checked for it. Ports 902 are open, both incoming and outgoing. I also added firewall rules to my windows machine that I am using to reach the server. I also set the port forwarding rules on my home router to be able to access it from outside the network.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

usually a dns-problem. can you resolve the hosts from the client ?

0 Kudos
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use the IP addresses, and those work fine...

0 Kudos
PocketWatch96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It turns out that when setting up port forwarding, I cannot specify a specific wan port that i want. It HAS to be 902. That's when the console will work. I cannot specify what port I want the console to communicate through.

Thanks all for your replies

0 Kudos