VMware Cloud Community
tekhie999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Replicating a 'non running' vm ??

hi .. i have a couple of questions regarding how the replication appliances handles VM's that are not running.

If i shutdown a guest OS in a controlled way, does the appliance perform a sync of whatever has not been replicated as part of the shutdown ? So if the VM had a 1hour RPO, and i shut it down after 30 minutes .. will the changes only be at Source site until i power it back on, and the changes are subsequently replicated ?

similarly, if i have a VM with a 1hr RPO and it blue screens after 30 minutes and cannot be recovered, would any changes in that first 30 minutes be lost ? Or could they be replicated somehow even though the VM is not running ?

Thanks for any advice!

chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Let me begin with providing some information about how RPO is handled

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vSphere-Replication/8.1/com.vmware.vsphere.replication-admin.doc/GUID-84F...

and about a replicated VM that is shutdown or crashed --> vSphere Replication Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - The current version of this doc has moved to:...

Refer these questions:

Where is VMware vSphere Replication information for the source virtual machine stored?

Can powered-off virtual machines be replicated using VMware vSphere Replication?

I hope that should answer your concern

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Let me begin with providing some information about how RPO is handled

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vSphere-Replication/8.1/com.vmware.vsphere.replication-admin.doc/GUID-84F...

and about a replicated VM that is shutdown or crashed --> vSphere Replication Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - The current version of this doc has moved to:...

Refer these questions:

Where is VMware vSphere Replication information for the source virtual machine stored?

Can powered-off virtual machines be replicated using VMware vSphere Replication?

I hope that should answer your concern

0 Kudos