3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2020 12:23 PM by BarryUWSEFS

VCP Requirement Question

BarryUWSEFS Enthusiast

I have been implementing/supporting  vSphere for over 10 years and Horizon for 5, VxRail for the last 2 years.  I thought during this lock down would be a good time to explore and study for VCP certification, especially since I am in between jobs. Then everything I read says it requires a $4250 class. Wow. I just wanted to verify that this is true, there is no way around this? You cannot just prove yourself via testing? I am not against attending a class, and would enjoy it, but I am not in a financial position to spend that money.

• 1. Re: VCP Requirement Question
          Tayfun DEGER Expert
          vExpert

In order to get a VCP certificate, you must get training from a training center. VMware VCP certification cannot be obtained without training. Therefore, you will receive the Install Configure Manage or Optimize and Scale training and then take the exam.

--
          Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
          Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
          3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VCP Requirement Question
            scott28tt Guru
            User ModeratorsVMware EmployeesCommunity Warriors

There is literally only one path to any VCP for a newbie (to VMware training/certification) which does not include a training requirement: VCP-NV 2020 for those holding certain Cisco certifications.

Choose either the NSX-V or NSX-T track here and select the Cisco path: VMware Certified Professional - Network Virtualization 2020 (VCP-NV 2020)

So unless that's you, then you will have to meet the training requirement - as did every VCP in the world today (other than the Cisco folks who did NV)

Once you get your first VCP (on any of the 5 solution tracks which have a VCP), there are options to keep certified and gain additional certifications with no additional training requirement.

• 3. Re: VCP Requirement Question
              BarryUWSEFS Enthusiast

Okay, thanks. I recently moved to Medellin, Colombia, be curious if there is even training available here.

I have 20 + years in IT, I can get by without this cert. My last MS cert was MCSE in Server 2000 LOL!