VMware Communities
BobMck
Contributor
Contributor

A secure connection to the server could not be established. Accessing shared VM's folder on localhost VMWare Workstation Pro 15.

Hi,

My VMWare workstation (v15) was working fine till windows 10 updates recently and since multiple forced restarts i now get "A secure connection to the server could not be established."

when selecting Shared VM's does not even display the list of shared VMs it did before. 

I can start the VM's using player individually but unable to manage the VM's in VMware workstation Pro console.

I have searched the forums already but most references relate to remote issues. This is all on the same machine.

Bob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BobMck
Contributor
Contributor

Note I have managed to connect to the local host via "Connect to server", I did get certificate trust warnings which is strange as it is local machine. At least i can now manage the hosts. In Preferences -> Shared VM's there is error "VMware Workstaation currently does not have a connection to the Workstation Server. To connect, click on the "Shared VMs" item in the library. which still produces the original error.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please post issues to the correct product area. Thread moved to Workstation Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Sounds like the shared services aren't running.  Check your Services control panel applet; check the event viewer for any VMware error messages.

0 Kudos
BobMck
Contributor
Contributor

VM services are running (attached) and nothing obvious in event log.

Warnings - vmaut warnings TicketLimitFileAccess: Successfully added access-allowed ACE to file's DACL.

Informational VMware NAT Service - started

Bob

0 Kudos