VMware Communities
FMO_Alan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified

Good Afternoon André

You seem to be a little more on the ball regarding replies.

I too have the same frustration regarding the pipe connection.

Following on your logic below, I've tried it all...

stop & restarting the service

uninstalling (through windows gives me an dll error.??, but through re-installing the VM workstation package, it seems to unistall.!?!?)

updating to the latest version - vmware

updating windows

updating drivers

removed all references to 'vmware' and 'vmplayer' from the registry while it was uninstalled.

None of the vm's on my machine work.

I havn't tried to create one though.

I've then taken the latest vm player installation package to another machine, where it works.!!!!

This all says to me that vm player software itself has bombed out on my machine.

Please assist.

even though I now have access to my project files, I still need to continue development on my systems code, which I'm falling horribly behind on.

Kindest Regards

Alan

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Branched to new thread in the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't unfortunately tell you what's causing this issue, but other users were able to fix this issue with repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributables from Add/Reomve Programs.

Which C++ Redistributable version(s) do you have installed?

André

FMO_Alan
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning André

You are an AbSoLute HERO.!!

Thank you thank you thank you.!!!

Indeed, exactly as you suggested, I simply repaired each of the Microsoft Visual C++ installed packages, and my VM's are operational again.

I Thank and Bless you André

tw2
Contributor
Contributor

@André

Awesome, this helped me a lot!

After a power loss of my PC I could not start any VM in Workstation. I always got the same error "Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified."

I tried reparing and reinstalling Workstation, deleting manually all registry entries, deleting all VMs etc. but to no avail.

After I repaired the MS Viusal C++ Redistributables it just worked again!

Thank you very much!

joge1969
Contributor
Contributor

I was afraid I would have to reinstall my computer. But that's exactly what helped. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
jacksonsang
Contributor
Contributor

Thank u so much!!!

i was going to reinstall my operation system until i saw ur share, u save my day.

for people who have the same question, the download link is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433...

Thanks again

0 Kudos
mboldrick
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me, too. Thank you!

For the sake of others evaluating this ... I have a new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11 Pro. I had just powered it up for the first time, and Workstation Pro 17.0 was the first app I installed. Initially, I got the error "Compatible Setup – Installer detected the host has Hyper-V or Device/Credential Guard enabled." I played with Windows Features settings to no avail, so I went back and enabled the checkbox to install WHP on the host. I then added a VM for Windows 7 Pro. It did not automatically launch the VM, and when I clicked on the Run button, I got the "... failed to connect pipe to virtual machine." Repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) 14.32.313267 did the trick!

0 Kudos