VMware Cloud Community
daveman_69
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI vSphere Hypervisor 7.0 add sas/raid controller drivers to standard .iso file

How do I add an ADAPTEC - RAID Adaptec 71605 16-Ports SAS/SATA RAID Controller

drivers to the new ESXI 7.0 iso image?

I had a file I would just add to my usb after I built a usb from the iso in ver 6.7.

File structure has changed and I don't know which file to replace anymore.

I desperately want to try the new ver of 7.0 so I may update my current 6.7 u3 server.

Please help!?!

Gary Lesikar

gl88572@gmail.com

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that this won't work, since all current Adaptec drives seem to be vmklinux based.

Please take a look at e.g. What is the Impact of the VMKlinux Driver Stack Deprecation? - VMware vSphere Blog  for further information.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please post threads into the correct product area.

Thread moved to ESXi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
daveman_69
Contributor
Contributor

I don't follow you. The interface is the same at usb boot.

Just need to get it to detect my controller that's it, and detect

my array,  then upgrade my current install from 6.7 u3  to 7.0.

It is not rocket science for pete sake.

What's the difference between  6.7 and 7.0?

What controllers does it support?

I have to be able to use raid.

I don't want to have to go to on-board controllers.

I want performance out of my server...

Gary Lesikar

gl88572@gmail.com

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What he's saying is that this card uses a vmklinux driver. This type of driver is no longer supported in ESXi 7.0, ergo you will not be able to use this card with 7.0. Your choices are to stay on 6.7 or buy a new card that is formally supported in 7.0.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are many supported controllers, you can search and filter here: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos