VMware Horizon Community
Syndil
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Horizon View 7: Add more storage to one user in a linked pool, best way to go?

Hi all, I have searched but have not found an answer I can digest yet. I have a linked pool of 50+ users. One of the users in this pool requires more storage on his VM. What is the best way to accomplish this? I assume I will need to create another pool with more storage, and then move the user to that pool. Can someone list the steps required for this, or get me a link? I want to make sure that when the user is moved to the new pool, he doesn't lose any data, simply gains more storage.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have multiple datastores? If so, perform a storage vMotion of the VM. This will consolidate the parent/delta disks into a single vmdk and make the disk expandable.

If not, you may have to shutdown the VM, clone it, and create a new manual pool from the VM. The clone should also have a single expandable vmdk. You -might- be able to remove the old linked clone and replace it with the full clone to prevent the need for separate pool, but I would need to do more research if that’s possible.

This is one of the reasons persistent linked clones are no fun!

0 Kudos