VMware Cloud Community
chihping
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use my free license for ESXi 6.7U2 to 7.0.0

I've been using the free ESXi license on 6.7U2 on MacPro machines. The license never expires for up to 8 vCPU. I plan to upgrade to 7.0.0. Can I still use the same license key?

Chihping

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, you'll need a new license key that covers ESXi 7.x.

0 Kudos
chihping
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks daphnissov.​ The best I can get is the 60-day free evaluation. No license key required. I tried my 6.7 license and it doesn't work. Is there a free license for an indefinite time like the one we have for 6.7 for two years or longer? I run ESXi only without vCenter.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I do not know if the ESXi 7 free licenses are available yet, but that's what you'd need.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I just registered for a free ESXi 7.0 Hypervisor license at https://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi which worked fine.

André

0 Kudos
chihping
Contributor
Contributor

André, If I look at Host - Manager - Licensing, I see the expiration date after 60 days for 7.0. What expiration date do you have? How can we extend the date or make it "never expire"? The one we have for 6.7 has "Never" at the expiration date.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just follow the link that I've provided, and register for the free Hypervisor. This will give you a license key that you can then assign to your hosts.

André

0 Kudos