VMware Horizon Community
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Integrated Camera not working in Horizon desktop

Hello,

We are running Horizon 7.8 and are having an issue with the integrated camera working in the desktop.  It works fine on the laptop itself and when I connect to the Horizon desktop, it shows up in the drop down list of devices displayed in the "Connect USB devices" (see attached image).  It doesn't matter if the Integrated Camera has a check mark next to it or not.  How do we get the integrated camera working on the Horizon desktop?  We really need this available for telemedicine.  Thank you in advance!!

IntegratedCamera.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Rachel,

As far as I know, you don't need USB redirection to connect your camera device to your desktop. You set the default camera device in the Horizon Client settings - RealTime Audio-Video

pastedImage_0.png

On the VDI, in your application, you choose the "VMWare virtual Webcam", "VMWare virtual microphone, ...

pastedImage_1.png

Regards.

Regards, Michiel.
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of the client are you running?  I understand 5.4 is the only version that supports Webcam.

If both USB Redirection AND Real-Time Audio-Video features are enabled on the Agent, will there be a conflict that will prevent the Real-Time Audio-Video from working?  We currently have both enabled due to the need for certain USB devices to be redirected to the Horizon desktop (IE: Dragon PowerMic).

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rachel,

If I remember well, this worked also with older versions. We also have both USB redirection and RTAV enabled, but I don't redirect my camera using USB redirection (make sure it is unchecked!).

Regards.

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mickeybyte2​,

So here is what I discovered with the integrated camera and microphone.  For the camera, I enabled a group policy on the Golden Image called Exclude Device Family and added o:video to prevent video from being forwarded. For the microphone, I discovered the VMware Virtual Microphone was disabled on my image so once I enabled that the integrated microphone worked.

Now my question is this....along with the VMware Virtual Microphone listed under Recording Devices under sounds on my Golden Image, we also have a device called PowerMic which is used by our providers.  In order for this to work properly, the device must be set as the Default Device in Recording Devices.  So, on my Golden Image I have set the PowerMic as the Default Device and the VMware Virtual Microphone is set to READY. When I republish the image with a new snapshot, the devices are not showing up this way.  The PowerMic is listed as the Default Communications Device and the VMware Virtual Microphone is set as the Default Device.  This setting prevents the PowerMic from working properly.  We have to manually set the PowerMic to the Default Device on the Virtual Desktop to get it to work.  Obviously it goes away once the user logs out.

Does anyone know why it would change after the republish?  And so what do I need to fix this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rachel,

A possible solution might be that you try to find out if and in what registry keys the default recording device is stored and you create a GPO for these settings so this gets applied to any VM your users log on to. You could use the tool RegistryChanges from NirSoft to found this out. Best way is to login to the VM as an admin user, create a snapshot of the registry with the tool, change the correct recording settings and create another snapshot. Than compare those 2 to find out which keys/values have changed.

Regards,

Michiel.

Regards, Michiel.