VMware Cloud Community
brnogu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Machines get corrupted after every power loss

Hello everyone!

After some searches online I was not able to find an answer to my issue. On every power loss on my vSphere machine all the guests get corrupted and it's necessary to perform a repair to the .vmdk file through ssh.

This is a small home server and it's very frequent that it experiences power loss. I was using Hyper-V before and never had this corruption problems.

What do you think could be the issue? The corrupt every single time there's a power loss.

Version: 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 15160138)

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have powerfailures regularly you either need automatic daily backups - or you need to radically reduce the amount of thin provisioning you use.

If you configure your VMs as eager zeroed thick provisioned and dont use snapshots then VMFS is not fragile any more.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Could you share a little more about the storage hardware?

Is it just a single local spinning drive?

Is it a raid array?

What do you mean by repair the vmdk? Please be as specific as possible.

Kind regards,

Fouad

0 Kudos
brnogu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vFouad

Thank you for your reply. This is a small asus computer running a single SSD drive, no RAID configured.

To repair de vmdk file I've followed the instructions on this website: https://www.vionblog.com/vmware-6-5-cant-start-vm-host-crash/

Hardware details:

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have powerfailures regularly you either need automatic daily backups - or you need to radically reduce the amount of thin provisioning you use.

If you configure your VMs as eager zeroed thick provisioned and dont use snapshots then VMFS is not fragile any more.

0 Kudos
brnogu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi continuum

Thank you for your reply. So it means that if I have a eager zeroed it will not be fragile anymore (aka not getting corrupted after every power loss) but I lose the ability to make snapshots. Is this correct?

Is there a way to convert the vmfs file?

Super Thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No - you can still use snapshots.
But snapshots are thin provisioned and thats what makes them fragile.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - to convert  your thin.vmdk into a eagerzeroedthick use

vmkfstools -i thin.vmdk eagerzeroed.vmdk -d eagerzeroed

0 Kudos
brnogu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Super thanks for your help! :smileygrin:

Have a nice day and Stay Safe!

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One other thing that may be playing into this issue, is your hardware.

I'm assuming you are using a commercial grade SSD not an enterprise grade ssd...

Commercial grade SSD's are not battery backed so sudden power failures means that cache data is not properly destaged.

This would be your source of corruption.

It might be worth looking into a small Uninterrupted Power Supply for that machine.

Kind regards,

Fouad