VMware Horizon Community
mohamed_abdelaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Connect | RDS wrong type

Dear All,

After upgrading my RDS from windows Server 2016 to windows Server 2019, The connection server shows that RDS type as "windows Server 2016".

Note that I completely uninstalled the agent before upgrading and re-installed it once windows upgrade successfully finished.

Please Advise!

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mohamed_abdelaal

I am able to reproduce the issue in-house as well.  This is a problem at vSphere level not connection server.

If you will look at vSphere, the guest OS for same RDS machine should be showing as 'Windows server 2016 or later'. This is because when you create VM in vSphere, it doesn't give you an option to select OS as 'Windows server 2019' rather it just gives you option upto 'Windows Server 2016 or later' hence the same is reflected in connection server.

Windows server 2019 guest Operating system option is not available in VM hardware versions 11-15 .The expected behavior will be "Windows Server 2016 and later".

In vSphere 7 and with hardware version 17, we have the Windows Server 2019 option.

Evidence: VMware Knowledge Base

View solution in original post

10 Replies
mohamed_abdelaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please help Horizon's experts

0 Kudos
janevin809
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also facing same issue's i also unable to find any solution from 2 weeks it is really irritating.

mohamed_abdelaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any Updates ?

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mohamed_abdelaal

What version of horizon connection severs and agent are you running on?

0 Kudos
mohamed_abdelaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I’m using the latest 7.12

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mohamed_abdelaal

I am able to reproduce the issue in-house as well.  This is a problem at vSphere level not connection server.

If you will look at vSphere, the guest OS for same RDS machine should be showing as 'Windows server 2016 or later'. This is because when you create VM in vSphere, it doesn't give you an option to select OS as 'Windows server 2019' rather it just gives you option upto 'Windows Server 2016 or later' hence the same is reflected in connection server.

Windows server 2019 guest Operating system option is not available in VM hardware versions 11-15 .The expected behavior will be "Windows Server 2016 and later".

In vSphere 7 and with hardware version 17, we have the Windows Server 2019 option.

Evidence: VMware Knowledge Base

NidiaGibbons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this but the problem is the same, it doesn't to be working for me. Do you have any other solutions?

0 Kudos
Yolandal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You select a snapshot from a master image.

Horizon creates a template VM that boots from the master snapshot. After some prep, the template VM shuts down and creates a new snapshot.

The template snapshot is copied to a Replica VM on every LUN (datastore) that will host RDS Farm VMs.

For each datastore, Horizon creates a Parent VM on every host in the cluster. This parent VM is powered on and running at all times.

The linked clones can finally be created by forking the parent VM to new linked clone VMs. Notes:

Once the Parent VMs are created, creating/recreating linked clones is fast. But it takes time to create all of the Parent VMs.

And the Parent VMs consume RAM on every host. If you have multiple datastores and/or multiple pools, then there are multiple Parent VMs per host, all of them consuming RAM.

You can schedule a periodic reboot of the Instant Clones, which causes the Instant Clone machines to refresh (revert) from the parent VM.

Instant Clones require Distributed vSwitch and Distributed Port Group with Static Binding and Fixed Allocation. Standard vSwitch is not supported.

0 Kudos
Yolandal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You select a snapshot from a master image.

Horizon creates a template VM that boots from the master snapshot. After some prep, the template VM shuts down and creates a new snapshot.

The template snapshot is copied to a Replica VM on every LUN (datastore) that will host RDS Farm VMs.

For each datastore, Horizon creates a Parent VM on every host in the cluster. This parent VM is powered on and running at all times.

The linked clones can finally be created by forking the parent VM to new linked clone VMs. Notes:

Once the Parent VMs are created, creating/recreating linked clones is fast. But it takes time to create all of the Parent VMs.

And the Parent VMs consume RAM on every host. If you have multiple datastores and/or multiple pools, then there are multiple Parent VMs per host, all of them consuming RAM.

You can schedule a periodic reboot of the Instant Clones, which causes the Instant Clone machines to refresh (revert) from the parent VM.

Instant Clones require Distributed vSwitch and Distributed Port Group with Static Binding and Fixed Allocation. Standard vSwitch is not supported. alaskasworld.com

0 Kudos
residmu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

did any of the stick poke solutions above work for you?

0 Kudos