VMware Communities
petkovicg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 11.5.3/Catalina 10.15.4 PC migration failure

Hello there,

I am having problems migrating my W10 HP Pavilion laptop to VMware. Here is whats happening:

1. Both PC and Mac are connected to the same modem (Lan 1 and Lan 3 ports respectively)

2. EnableLUA in W10 set to 0 (see attached snap shot)

3. Started PC Migration Agent on PC

4. Started Fusion on iMac (14.2), selected Migrate your PC

5. Entered 4-digit code from PC Migration Agent

6. Provided Administrator credentials from PC

7. Continued with default 'Windows 10 x64' default location (Space needed 231.2 GB, Space Available 884.8 GB)

8. Fusion is preparing migration

9. An Error Occured (Unable to create virtual machine 'Windows 10 x64' for the following reason: 'converter.fault.NetworkShareConnectFault'

10. Finish

I tried uninstalling, rebooting then reinstalling Fusion but that did not help.

Am I doing something wrong?

Best Regards,

Goran

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like you have NAT rather than Bridged: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try using the standalone vmware vcenter converter instead - that'll create a VM on an external USB drive - just bring that over, and copy to your mac.

FWIW, converting physical machines almost always results in a bloated and unstable guest vm.  If this is for archival use, you're probably ok, but if you're going to be using it a lot, creating a new one from scratch is highly recommended.

0 Kudos
petkovicg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello dlhotka,

Many thanks for your input. I tried vcenter converter but that did not produce any desired result either.

I followed your advice and installed Windows from scratch. That worked fine. I am reinstalling all the apps at the moment but then I stumbled upon another problem.

Although I am able to browse internet from Windows for some reason I can't see any of my network devices (printer, NAS etc...). Using ipconfig shows different subnet 192.168.189.xxx whereas iMac is on 192.168.1.xxx. Could this be the reason and how can I fix it?

Best Regards,

Goran

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like you have NAT rather than Bridged: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
petkovicg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello scott28tt,

Yes, you were right, thank you. In Network Adapter Settings I changed from default 'Share with my Mac' to 'Automatic' and voila! It was all there.

Once again, thank you.

Best Regards,

Goran

tdmassing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you indicated that you changed the "Shae with my Mac" to automatic.  Mine only gives the System Config.  When I select custom and apply it reverts back.  I am using Catalina 10.15.6 and Fusion Pro 11.5.3.  I have all the FWs disabled on the PC and all the Network Sharing open but I still get the same converter.fault error.  Any other suggestions.

0 Kudos
rd_vm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am a first time Mac user, can give me specific instructions as to where I should change this setting?

0 Kudos
teckel12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is no way resolves this problem.  Nor is the answer clear AT ALL as you can't setup the network type till after you migrate, and the migrate is the problem.

0 Kudos