VMware Horizon Community
zasran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extend naming pattern using a token

Hello community. I need to extend my naming pattern, where we use the token as follows:

PCNAME{n:fixed=2}

This creates computers in the domain with following names:

PCNAME01; PCNAME02

And gives a maximum of 99 computer.

I need to extend the fixed=2 to fixed=3 so I can create more than 99 VDIs.

I was searching google for quite some time and never found this case.

My question is: If I simply increse the fixed=2 to fixed=3 - will existing machines be renamed to PCNAME001; PCNAME002?

My goal is to not have the existing machines changed, just be able to provision machines further: PCNAME100; PCNAME101 etc.

Can somebody advise me how to perform this based on best practices, as I was really not able to find anything in the knowledge articles.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

zasran

This could be easily tested by creating a test pool with fixed=1 and then increase it to 2 😉

I've just did a quick test on our environment changing from 2 to 3 and the existing VM's were retained, but new VM's were created as 001, not as 100! Keep that in mind.

What's the reason that keeping the current names is so important? Eventually they'll disappear after they have been deleted or recomposed (I guess) and will be replaced by 3 digits.

Regards, Michiel.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
zasran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nobody has ever done this please?

This looks to me as a fairy standard operation, I wonder why there is nothing on the Interwebs about this...

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

zasran

This could be easily tested by creating a test pool with fixed=1 and then increase it to 2 😉

I've just did a quick test on our environment changing from 2 to 3 and the existing VM's were retained, but new VM's were created as 001, not as 100! Keep that in mind.

What's the reason that keeping the current names is so important? Eventually they'll disappear after they have been deleted or recomposed (I guess) and will be replaced by 3 digits.

Regards, Michiel.
zasran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the test, I really appreciate.

Well we have firewall rules that are using OUs for applying different rules.

That means some VDIs are member of specific OUs that determine how the firewall will handle what traffic.

But now, that I know how ti behaves I can easily adjust my OU memberships up front.

Thanks again for testing and explanation.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

zasran

I can understand that, but all VDIs from the same desktop pool, no matter what their names are, are located in the same OU. You have to specify this in the desktop pool settings, so I don't see the issue here?

Regards, Michiel.
0 Kudos
zasran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is really no issue, but before I extend the name space, I wanted to know what is the behavior and/or best practice.

Yes you are correct about the OU, when the VDI is provisioned it is a member of the saem OU always.

But we have different OUs where we have to add the Computers manually in order to apply the correct FW settings.

Your answer greatly explains how the system works and now I can extend the name space with confidence and most important - with no surprise Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your precious help.

0 Kudos