VMware Cloud Community
Gawnet
Contributor
Contributor

[VMware Converter] Converting multi-partitioned vm

Hi,

We are trying to migrate vm using vmware converter.

We succeeded the migration of Windows 16 vm with single partition without a problem.

but is it possible to convert Windows 16 vm with multiple partitions?

I saw there is a limitation for this task but hard to understand fully.

Could you enlighten me on this task?

Thank You,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

Yes you can, normally....

see Move a Volume to a Different Virtual Disk

Procedure

1. From the Data copy type drop-down menu, select Select volumes to copy.
  2. Click Advanced and select the Destination layout tab.
  3. Select a volume from the list and click Add disk. A new virtual disk appears in the Destination layout column.
  4. Select a source volume and use the Move up or Move down buttons to accommodate the volume in the new virtual disk. The partitioning scheme of the first source volume that you move will determine the type of the new virtual disk on the destination virtual machine. If you leave the virtual disk empty, Converter Standalone does not create the virtual disk on the destination virtual machine.

or there is a third party blog:

VMWare vCenter Converter – Split drives on one logical disk into two VMDK files | CoNetrix

Using the VMWare vCenter Converter, we can split the disks to separate VMDK files. This can be achieved when converting the machine from a physical machine to a virtual machine or a virtual machine to a new virtual machine.

• On the Options page, click Edit in the "Data to copy" section
  • Click Advanced
  • Click Destination Layout
  • Suggest changing the drives to "Thin"
  • Click "Add disk", select the disk you want to split, and click "Move down" until it is listed under the new disk
  • Complete the job wizard and run the conversion job

I'm not sure how this would work against a ReFS volume though...

I hope this helps,

Fouad

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Converter Standalone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Yes, Converter converts machines with multiple partitions

Not sure what limitation you have in mind. Here is a link to a search for 'partition' in the documentation: VMware Docs Search It is always a good idea to consult the user guide for general questions.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos