1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2020 5:30 AM by OsburnM

AutoDeploy Script Bundle Hanging Host Boot

OsburnM Enthusiast

Greetings all.  Hoping someone can throw an assist here.

Have AutoDeploy w/Stateless Cache booting to HPE Gen10 Blades.  We'd like to start using the new 'sut' utility (HPE's SmartUpdate Utility) that now has an ESX VIB; however, in-order for the 'sut' utility to automatically query for firmware updates, you need to run a command to configure it to "AutoDeploy" (not to be confused with VMware's autodeploy).  Otherwise, it's the default, "OnDemand" (which is essentially manual trigger).

The trouble is, we use vSphere AutoDeploy w/Stateless Caching & this configuration setting/option isn't captured in a host profile.  So-- the thought was we'd use the newer ScriptBundle feature of AutoDeploy, build a simple .sh script to execute the one-liner command, and on boot, it'd reconfigure for the correct setting.

So I ssh'd into a host and opened VI to create a simple ash script that looked like the following:

called it 'configSutAutoDeploy.sh'

---

#!/bin/ash

sut -set Mode=Autodeploy

---

then did a:  chgmod +x configSutAutoDeploy.sh

then ran a:  tar -cvzf configSutAutoDeploy.tgz configSutAutoDeploy.sh

From there, I uploaded it to AutoDeploy (6.7u3 vcsa-- used the new ScriptBundle Upload UI).

Added it to a rule and rebooted a host.  The host gets to a "deployscript.py" and just hangs.  The command should only take a couple seconds to complete and I can run the .sh file manually w/o issue.

Unfortunately, there's just not a lot of info out there on this feature and the guide doesn't have any detail.

Any ideas?

Thanks!