VMware Cloud Community
sobigfat0220
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ask questions about HA and vmotion?

There are three ESXI hosts in the cluster and HA is enabled.

When the uplink state of vswitch2 on the ESXI_A host is down,

vswitch2 runs the service VLAN network associated with the VM.

vswitch1 uplink is normal (management, vmotion, storage communication is here)

Is it possible to trigger a VM in the ESXI_A host to automatically vmotion to the other two ESXI hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm afraid that there's no out-of-the-box solution for this.

You may take a look at the Proactive HA feature, which handles hardware failures. Maybe there's a way to tweak this feature to respond to a network uplink loss!?

Anyway, the most straight forward way to reduce such risks is to have uplink redundancy, i.e. at least two uplinks connected - if possible - to two different physical switches.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm afraid that there's no out-of-the-box solution for this.

You may take a look at the Proactive HA feature, which handles hardware failures. Maybe there's a way to tweak this feature to respond to a network uplink loss!?

Anyway, the most straight forward way to reduce such risks is to have uplink redundancy, i.e. at least two uplinks connected - if possible - to two different physical switches.

André

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I agree with the answer of a.p.

Attached the "vSphere Availability" manual, see page. 37-38

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
sobigfat0220
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer

I want to know if the Proactive HA function only supports version 6.5 and above? The version I currently use is 6.0

At present, the uplink of the environment adopts dual-line dual-switch redundancy.

I was wondering if I encountered the above situation, could I only manually perform vmotion or restore the uplink to solve the problem? Is there a better solution?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, Proactive HA was introduces in vSphere 6.5.

Anyway, as mentioned I'm not sure whether an uplink failure will/can be configured as a reason for a migration. You'll have to check the documentation if needed.

Other than this, what I could think of would be some kind of monitoring software (or script), which is able to trigger a migration in such a case.

André

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

just an idea: you can create alarms based on VOB (Vmkernel Observations). For example:

pastedImage_0.png

This creates a critical alarm on the host that must be manually ackknowledged. Maybe that could trigger proactive HA. Never tested, just an idea.

More about VOB alarms here : https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/04/handy-vsan-vobs-for-creating-vcenter-alarms.html

0 Kudos