VMware Communities
GrantBeverley
Contributor
Contributor

Retro gaming issue during lockdown!

Hello,

I'm new to this community but have been using VMware Fusion for many years to run windows utilities on my MacBook.

Being stuck in the house has driven us to look for something to do and we've found some of the old games that I used to play on my old PC. Were trying to play Settlers: Rise of an Empire on my MacBook using my Windows 10 VM but after the installation we're getting the following error when trying to launch the game:

Graphics adapter does not meet the minimum requirements. At least 70 MB of available video memory required, only 62 MB detected.

There's a couple of GB allocated to the video adapter in the Fusion settings but it does say that's only the maximum and the VM can use as much as it sees fit.

Looking at the "hardware properties" of the virtual windows 10 machine the display adapter is listed as a VMware SVGA 3D. There doesn't seem to be anything that I can do from the windows side to increase the allocation of memory to the "card".

Apologies if this is a daft question but I haven't really poked around into any of these setting before.

Can anyone offer any help please?

Many thanks

Grant

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Make sure you're on the latest version of Fusion, have upgraded the virtual hardware and VMWare tools.

In the VM settings (in fusion, not the guest) you can increase the video memory allocated to the guest.

0 Kudos