VMware Communities
Raygie63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving from Fusion v7 to v11

I've never upgraded since I first installed Fusion v7. I realize moving to Fusion v11 is considered new and not an upgrade but I was wondering if there was a way to save the Windows environment that I had set up in v7, or am I going to need to install Windows and all the apps again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No reason to lose your work, no.  Consider your virtual machine(s) to be similar to a document in Word.  When you uninstall/upgrade/whatnot the Microsoft Word application, nothing happens to all the documents you created/edited with it. 

I would, however, before you upgrade Fusion, make sure that all of your virtual machines are powered off (not merely suspended) inside the Windows guest. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No reason to lose your work, no.  Consider your virtual machine(s) to be similar to a document in Word.  When you uninstall/upgrade/whatnot the Microsoft Word application, nothing happens to all the documents you created/edited with it. 

I would, however, before you upgrade Fusion, make sure that all of your virtual machines are powered off (not merely suspended) inside the Windows guest. 

0 Kudos
Raygie63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

My issue now is that I'm not sure if I had powered off my virtual machine the last time I used it. I have since upgraded my mac OS and am unable to double check. I guess the next step is upgrading to v11 and crossing my fingers. 🙂

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Back them up before you run them the first time (not time machine - just copy via finder).  If they weren't shut down, you may have to either force power them off, or if they do boot, immediately shut them down and restart

0 Kudos