VMware Communities
klepp0906
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble with wake on lan relative to vmware's virtual adapters

So i just fought with virtualbox' adapter's this morning as somehow their interface metric was the same as my ethernet adapter and the conflict prevented wake on lan from working.Now I'm proceeding to scan my network to add machines ala my wake on lan app of choice, and its picking up the VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMNet8 before my physical adapter even though my physical adapter has the higher interface metric.

If i disable it in device manager, it picks up the vmware adapter for vmnet1 next!! 

Only if i disable both, then does it register properly with my actual NIC and its mac address etc.

Mind you, this is with no VM's running etc.

Anybody have an idea whats going on here and how i can rectify it?  Obviously its something beyond the interface metric.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
klepp0906
Contributor
Contributor

still fighting with this, now in windows 11.  it appears to connect first to the vmnet adapters in the unidentified network at startup before switching to the actual ethernet adapter.  causes a slew of problems including windows creating public network firewall rules (cant set unidentifed network to private and if u do via powershell it just re-sets it to public on restart) also stops wake on lan packets from being broadcast.

0 Kudos