VMware Communities
Douhal32
Contributor
Contributor

unsuported cpu detected

HI I just downloaded VMware workstation and to upgraded it and I pop-up window came up and said unsupported CPU detected. Is there any solution to fixing this problem

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, upgrade your CPU or downgrade the version of VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please post questions into the appropriate product area when possible, thread moved to Workstation Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

daphnissov's answer is the only one possible.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

To add a bit of background info to what the others already have said.

Starting with VMware Workstation 14 additional CPU requirements are needed.

A feature called "VMX Unrestricted Guest", see also: https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=3253

At the time when Workstation 14 came out the installer would not test for that and it confused a lot of people.

Especially as you cannot check for this feature on the Intel technical specification page about their CPUs.

The current Workstation installer however gives you a timely error, the one you saw. So at least you don't end up burning a lot of time.

While "upgrade your CPU" sounds nice, normally you can't upgrade the CPU of your machine to one that will work, without replacing the machine, as intel does not keep their CPU sockets compatible between CPU revisions. So it is more a "upgrade your computer" kind of thing.

An alternative approach is to install either an older VMware Workstation product (Workstation 12 or older) or another virtualisation product that does not have these requirements.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos