VMware Cloud Community
icehckyplyr22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.7 directly connected to storage with Balance-ALB & 2 NICs

I am curious if this is even possible, from what I have read it should be. I am trying to connect an ESXi 6.7 host to a QNAP device, here is the catch I am not using a switch Smiley Happy. I have a ESXi host directly connected to a QNAP using 2 x 10GB GBIC's.

The QNAP is configured with port trunking on two of it's NICs using Balance-ALB. (I use 2 other x ethernet NICs for management of this device).

pastedImage_13.png

In ESXi I have one vSwitch, with 2 port groups:

• PG1 has vNIC0 active / vNIC1 unused.
  • PG2 has vNIC0 unused / vNIC1 active.

pastedImage_5.png

I can ping the IP of the NIC bond on the QNAP from one of the vmk ports but not the other

pastedImage_4.png

QNAP shows an iSCSI connection from one of my vmk's IPs. I cannot locate the storage device when I scan the HBA/VMFS though. I am using a static iSCSI target.

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

looks like some configurations issue.please follow the qnap guide.

https://files.qnap.com/news/pressresource/datasheet/Set_up_a_VMware_ESXi_Datastore_via_iSCSI_with_QN...

please mark helpful or correct if resolve it.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
icehckyplyr22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately that guide doesn't apply to my situation. I don't have a dual controller QNAP and I am trying to get away without having to use a switch.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

In this case, try to change the NIC order teaming tab of the vSwitch or Portgroup properties and then try to ping.

0 Kudos
icehckyplyr22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From what I have always known you should only have 1 active vnic assigned to each port group for iSCSI. I can ping, which I mentioned. I appreciate the help but I don't think you are fully understanding my goal.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This isn't going to work out, you need to use a switch which is proper, required infrastructure.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

then this  should not worked as per QNAP. You should need switch for proper infrastructure as per my previous shared QNAP guide.

0 Kudos