VMware Networking Community
Deacon51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESG DHCP Service option 121

Hello all,

I have a LAN Network with a vDS and a WAN Network with a vDS.  I have a user group that has been given 4 VLAN backed networks (Port Groups on the vDS) on the WAN side.  The WAN network engineers own the routers.  I need syslog to flow to the LAN side.  So, I built a ESG with a TRUNK interface and four sub interfaces, one on each VLAN.  I enabled DHCP and built out four scopes. I connect the VM to the port group and it gets it IP from the DHCP service and it's default gateway of the WAN Router.  I added a interface on the LAN side and configured an IP, but the VM's do not have a route to the LAN side. I added a static route to the ESG, and I can ping both the LAN and the WAN side.  The same of true on the VM, if I add a route to the VM - it works.  "ip route add 192.168.0.0/16 via {WAN IP address on ESG}"

So...

I would like to use option 121 on the DHCP server to configure a secondary route.

On the ESG > DHCP > Edit DHCP Pool > DHCP Options > option 121 > Add  - there are two fields.  Destination Subnet and Router IP Address.

I would assume that I could just put 192.168.0.0/16 with a router IP as the ESG.... but that doesn't work.  I get  "Destination Subnet is Invalid"

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Deacon51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The web client shows that the network isn't valid, yet it allowed me to publish the change.  My virtual machines did receive the route I published and functioned normally.  I'm calling it a display error on the NSX web client interface. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Have you tried with a segment that the Edge doesn't have as a Static Route? Maybe there is the conflict.

Wich version of NSX are you using?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
Deacon51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running NSX-V version 6.4 with vSphere 6.7.3b

And yes, I've tried adding just a random network segment - like 10.10.10.0/30

0 Kudos
Deacon51
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The web client shows that the network isn't valid, yet it allowed me to publish the change.  My virtual machines did receive the route I published and functioned normally.  I'm calling it a display error on the NSX web client interface. 

0 Kudos