VMware Cloud Community
thanosk_auth
Contributor
Contributor

VCA 6.7 HA Cluster Networking

I have setup VCA in HA configuration in a test environment but I am running into the following problem:

The vCenter HA IPs are in a separate subnet with no default gateway as per instructions
but as a result I don't have ssh or :5480 access to the passive and witness nodes unless
I use the active node as a bastion host and risking not having access in an event of a
disaster scenario where the the active node becomes unresponsive etc.

Similarly those nodes don't have access to other internal services like ntp/dns etc which
might cause issues down the road.

What would be the best solution to this ?
Should I add an extra nic to all nodes that rests on a subnet with full access to my internal network ?
Should I add custom routes for services/subnets to all nodes ?

Thanks for all the suggestions in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi

Based on VMware product & FAQ docs, you should consider following requirements in the vCenter HA deployment:

1. The VCHA network must be on a different subnet than the management network.

2. While VCHA is enabled, no changes can be made to the IP address/FQDN of any nodes.

3. SSH must always be enabled for re-synchronization between active and passive nodes.

4. There is no supporting for snapshot or FT on any of the VCHA nodes (until now)

5. Just a single vCenter (standard edition) license is enough.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
VivekThacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Please check the below KB artilce for VCHA in different subnet.

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Vivek Thacker

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

The case solved in this post reflects your problem.

VCenterSA 6.5 HA / HA interfaces in different subnets

-------

also from this article you can get info

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/vcenter-server-high-availability-review-part-2

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos