VMware Cloud Community
MattHumphreys
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrade using VUM and ISO

So I need to go to a specific version of ESXi in my lab environment in order to carry out a test to try and diagnose a fault in our production environment, we have the latest build of 6.7 installed in our lab as we used it as the test bed before we rolled the upgrade out to our production servers.

We had an issue with one cluster which vmware cant seem to find the root cause of without further information, they want me to test the precise steps we took in upgrading the environment in a test lab so I need to install the same version that is in the production problem cluster.

The target version is an older build of 6.7, now if I add the ISO to update manager, build a baseline and apply it to the hosts will it install the older version or will I have to wipe and install and reconfigure everything?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

No, you don't have to reinstall everything from scratch, there is the RollBack procedure to avoid having to redo everything.

Get info from this example:

How to Downgrade/Roll Back ESXi 6.5 - VirtuBytes

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
MattHumphreys
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that isnt going to be an option as the version we installed originally is not the one that I need to roll back to, I need to target a specific version that we have never installed before, I can roll it back but that would leave me with still the wrong version installed.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Update Manager

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos