VMware Cloud Community
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen of vm in esxi

Hi!

I have one problem and cannot resolve it.

I have a vmware esxi 6.0 and 2 virtual machines on it. One is a VM whitch I used with workstation, only registered it on esxi and works perfect (woth windows xp 32 bit on it) and these days I virtualised a physical machine (also win xp 32 bit), works perfect in workstation but after I register it to esxi does nothing only black screen with _ in te left-up corner of the window. I can enter BIOS if set force bios from vm option but that's all. I unchecked 3e graphics and still. I modified video from 4 mb to 8, 16, 32 mb without luck. What can I do? If I try to enter remotely with workstation I see only black screen also.

I cannot enter safe mode, it doesnt popup windows loading logo.

It could be a problem that in this vm the ip is set manualy to a different class that the esxi? Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Absolutely the IP address has nothing to do with it. What did you use for P2V conversion?

Have you tried changing the virtual hardware?

If it doesn't work, try converting it again using the standalone vcenter converter, but not with the latest version because it is not compatible with Windows XP. Perform the conversion directly indicating your Esxi.

you must use version 5.5 of vcenter converter

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Release Notes

Convert P2V

P2V Windows XP

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your answer. I used converter standalone client 4.0.1 to convert the physical machine. What virtual hardware you reffer to? I tryed to increase video card from 4 mb to 32 mb and I had no succes. You think it could be the problem that I don't have installed VMware Tools on this machine?

I don't understand why the same VM works if I open it localy with workstation 12 but on esxi (even if I try to open it remotely from workstation) I get the black screen and after few second appear the underline character in up-left corner of that black screen.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

What's the destination for your P2V operation? Did you convert it to use in VMware Workstation or adding as a new VM to the ESXi host?

I don't think it's related to the VMware Tools. Which type of Disk did you choose for converting? IDE or SCSI? Can you change it and try again? Also run the wizard of creating new VM for winXP as the guest OS in your destination ESXi, and check the recommended controller type. Then choose one of the recommended (lsilogic or buslogic I think) in final step of P2V convert wizard.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot add it to esxi because the networks are not the same and I selected vmware workstation or otyer vmware virtual machine. Virtual hardware is the same like the other vm that works

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

So I think another solution is convert to the VMware Workstation, Then create a new VM and copy the generated vmdk file (from P2v) to that VM's directory inside the ESXi datastore. Then convert it with vmkfstools then add it to the VM as an existing virtual hard disk ... try it and give me the result Smiley Wink

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

I have done that but the result is the same.

If I boot localy the same machine with workstation it works. On esxi nope.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Try this:

Copy that P2V converted VM files on a system exists in the ESXi subnet (because you mentioned they are not in same) and then convert it again to a ESXi compatible VM.

0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

I want to try it, no problem but estimated time remaining is 2 days for this action :smileygrin: (transfer rate is 281 kb/s)

I don't understand why it works perfectly in workstation and after I register it on esxi it won't boot windows at all (remainind that black screen with underline char in right left part of the screen).

I have no errors only it stuck on that black screen (before windows loader)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have you checked the boot order in the virtual bios ?

0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

Of course. That was the first thing I tryed

0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution. When I converted the physical machine I set the destination to be for ESXi 5.5 not 6.0 (I use 6.0) and it works.

Thanks for your posts

0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone tell me, back in the days I was able to enter on vm's from esxi using vm player. Is there any chance to use now vm player or vmware workstation player to acces one? Or my only options are vsphere client and workstation pro? I want to have limited acces to vm's.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Depends what sort of tasks you want someone to do.

VMRC could be of use: Download VMware vSphere

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

I think what you sugested will do the work just fine. I will try it tomorrow. Only want to enter vm's windows and work on it. Nothing else. I will leave a comment tomorrow after trying it. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Cucuci
Contributor
Contributor

Can you help with a info?

I make a new user, I add a new role.

If I add permissions on host, all is good (I can acces VM's through VMWare workstation, VMware host client)

If I add permissions only to specific VM (I want to give permission to acces specific VM) I cannot acces that VM connecting through VMware Workstation only with host client.

I want to acces specific VM from a new user created using VMware Workstation. I use Workstation 12.1.0 ... I dont't think it could be a compatibility problem because it works with permissions on host (to all vm's)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos