VMware Cloud Community
Gunnar43
Contributor
Contributor

Make backup of running VMs

Will it be possible to make it so that users can make their own backups (.wim) of their VMs while they are running.
No need for users to have access to esxi for backups.

Is there any existing tools that can do this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What do you mean by "users" and what information are you actually wanting them to be able to backup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Gunnar43
Contributor
Contributor

People that dont have access to esxi interface, and can only login to the VM with remote desktop, I see as users.

Is there sofrware tools that will make it be possible for them to make image, (.wim) of their machine.

Kinda putting more responsibility for their own backup, and easing the responsibility for the Host.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If they don't have access to any VMware admin tools, there would be nothing that VMware do to help with this.

It's a Windows-specific solution you're looking for - something to run in the guest OS of the VM, rather than at the VM level.

You don't say which version of Windows you are using in the VMs, but here's an article for Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027408

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Gunnar43
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your replies.

If I am not misstaken VMware do make software a wide range of software, and some of them can be installed on windows based OS.

It was in this spirit, I came to this forum, asking if some sort of image software existed from VMware.

I was also hoping that maybe someone here had knowledge of such tool, even if it wasnt developed my VMware.

Im aplogize if my questions was out of line and provocative.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware do indeed offer a wide range of tools, and those which you can install on Windows are usually either to run VMs on Windows or to remotely administer other VMware products.

They do not offer Windows backup/image tools such as the kind you seek - they are not a "backup/image vendor" in terms of the many guest OSes that are supported to run inside VMs.

They have mechanisms that can be leveraged to perform backups at a VM level, but not at a guest OS level.

No apologies necessary - you asked a legitimate question, and I'm merely providing you with an honest answer.

0 Kudos