Contributor
Jump to solution

Issues with DirectPath I/O

Hey guys

Running vSphere 6.0.0 u3

ESXi host in question is 6.0.0 u3

Server: ProLiant DL360 Gen10

NIC:  HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 562SFP+ Adapter

I'm trying to enable DirectPath i/o to passthru the NIC through to the VM.

I have used the vsphere client to add the correct vmnic under Host > Configuration > Advanced Settings > DirectPath i/o Configuration. I see the message "This device is running in passthrough mode"

Great! So far so good....

Next, on the VM settings, I have added the PCI device, and as expected, the NIC appears there and I can add it successfully and save.

However when I switch on the VM, I receive the following message: The virtual machine cannot be powered on because virtual nested paging is not compatible with PCI passthru in VMware ESX 6.0.0.

Any advise welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

First of all your CPU must be supported "Extended Page Tables", you can check with the vendor, and you should consider that Passthrough is not compatible with nested hardware, so if you enabled "Expose Hardware-Assisted Virtualization to the Guest OS" you should disable it.

Hope this could be helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Randomness69

Try this article Expose VMware Hardware Assisted Virtualization

nested1.jpg

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

First of all your CPU must be supported "Extended Page Tables", you can check with the vendor, and you should consider that Passthrough is not compatible with nested hardware, so if you enabled "Expose Hardware-Assisted Virtualization to the Guest OS" you should disable it.

Hope this could be helpful

0 Kudos
Randomness69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks @Ardaneh

I disabled "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest" under the CPU settings.

The VM powered on successfully. The NIC can be seen on the vm as a pci device. Perfect result!

Hopefully this helps someone in future facing a similar problem.

Cheers.Ardaneh

0 Kudos