VMware Communities
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

cannot use hardware acceleration svga error 11

My host is Ubuntu 19.04. My workstation version is 15.1.2. I attempted to downgrade to 14.x but the modules wouldn't build for some reason.

I am attempting to have VMware use hardware graphics acceleration, but I keep getting a signal 11. Video card is an NVIDIA GTX 980 TI with ubuntu's package maintainers 435 driver installed.     

glxgears works properly on the host.

Any support will be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The driver is crashing so I would suggest to try another driver from Nvidia instead.

For example:

NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded the driver from the package maintainer's version to the freshest off of their Unix Drivers list after posting this question. Still got the same result.

Hm. My next course of action should be to downgrade the nvidia drivers until I find a version that works?

What else would be a good idea for me to try?

I am half tempted to just ditch NVIDIA and just go all AMD but I don't have the resources to do that currently.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've rummaged through the logfile and done a bit of research here... that is a really weird failure.  It's the SVGA thread which is crashing, but it is failing in some mundane VGA screen update stuff... Not in a place I would expect 3D acceleration to really make any difference at all.

Does it reliably and reproducibly fail, only when you have 3D acceleration enabled?  It looks like it's failing very early during power-on – like, before BIOS has even run – is that correct?

If you could, please configure your VM to gather debugging information​ and try to make it fail again, and upload the resulting vmware.log from that run... it might have more clues about what's going on.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately for me, that is just the way my luck is going. The VM works just fine with hardware acceleration unchecked. Sadly I work nights and I have to be somewhere after work but that is a good place for me to pick up when I get back in front of the rig. Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If it fails reliably then that does actually help in making it easier to troubleshoot.

In case you haven't noticed, Darius is a VMware employee.

If anybody can help you with getting to the bottom of this instead of having to go down the path of "trying all the possible drivers made available by Nvidia" then it is him.

Thanks Darius for jumping in.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. So I reran the VM with all of the logging enabled. Attached. Many thanks!

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. That is correct. It won't even make it to the BIOS. A dialog pops up telling me I could also run vm-support but I can't seem to find that in the workstation folder nor in any of vmware's terminal commands.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the debug logs!

2020-03-02T11:28:48.386-05:00| svga| I125: SWBScreen: Screen 0 Defined: xywh(0, 0, 640, 480) flags=0x3

[...]

2020-03-02T11:28:48.387-05:00| svga| W115: glGenTextures error 1282 - invalid operation

2020-03-02T11:28:48.438-05:00| svga| E105: PANIC: ASSERT bora/mks/renderers/gl/GLSurfaceInt.h:364

Ah, that is what I was hoping for!  A slightly more useful error message.  (Trust me, it is!)  We are asking the host 3D driver to prepare to display some screen content for us – just boring old VGA screen content at this stage – and it's telling us that we aren't allowed to do what we ask.  The request we are making is really quite simple, so it's weird that the host's 3D drivers are objecting to it.

I have rummaged through our internal bug tracker and found one vaguely-similar (but not identical) report from a system with two separate GPUs... Do you also have two GPUs?  I see a bunch of stuff in the logfile which is duplicated, but I can't tell whether that's a quirk of the way we log things or because there are two GPUs...

Now... about the invalid operation thing.  There will perhaps be a message logged somewhere with more details, but unfortunately I have no idea which component might send the message or where it will end up recorded on an Ubuntu 19.10 host...  Maybe power on the VM to make the failure happen again, take a note of the exact time that it fails, and immediately look in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log or perhaps run journalctl -xe as root, and see if anything has popped up in those files at the corresponding moment.  It's possible that there won't be anything of interest, but if there is, it might help us further narrow things down.

That's about all I can think of for now.  Thanks for your patience and perseverance!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

There are two gpus in the box. One is an old AMD card I've been trying to make passthrough with no success on other types of VM software. I thought about yanking it to see if VMware was getting confused somehow, but it wasn't my first thought as the driver is not installed on the OS. I'll be home in a few hours and will make that the first thing I try.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. I removed the AMD card and retried. No luck. I started "Collect Support Data" but it is taking quite awhile.

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. So collecting support data finally finished. The TGZ file it spit out is five gigs. I can hardly attach it here.

I could up it to google drive, but I would prefer an alternative if VMware has a place I can upload it to.

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so running it from terminal produced the following:

mattdawolf@mattdawolfsden-mk32:~$ vmware /mnt/VIRTUAL/.vmware/VMs/3D/3D.vmx

PowerOn

VProbes facility is disabled.

VProbes facility is disabled.

Vigor: /vm/#_VMX/vmx/vigor/cmd/##1_c/op/ went 21061397us without progress update.

Could not initialize emulated USB smart card subsystem.

ASSERT bora/mks/renderers/gl/GLSurfaceInt.h:364

PANIC: ASSERT bora/mks/renderers/gl/GLSurfaceInt.h:364

Attempting a core dump using an unlimited size limit

Core dumped.

A core file is available in "/mnt/VIRTUAL/.vmware/VMs/3D/core"

Dumping core for vcpu-0

Panic in progress... ungrabbing

SWBWindow: MKSWindowId: 0, UI did not provide window origin

Dumping core for vcpu-1

Dumping core for vcpu-2

Dumping core for vcpu-3

It would probably behoove me to build a proper kernel and ditch the generic... The 3D acceleration works properly on the windows side of this dual boot machine.

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

dariusd​ requested failed log files.

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Apologies for failing to get back to you on this.

Do you now have WS14 running?  Does the hardware acceleration work?

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mattdawolf
Contributor
Contributor

14 on Linux still wouldn't stretch for me. So I put 15 back on it. Ditching nvidia and using AMD's open driver fixed everything. Hardware acceleration works great.

Now I just need to figure out PCI passthrough... Arg.

Many thanks for your assistance!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have bad news on that front, I'm afraid... VMware Workstation does not support PCI passthrough.  Only ESXi (our Type-1 hypervisor which is its own operating system) has support for PCI passthrough, and that's only suitable if you want to dedicate the host to running virtual machines.

Which host PCI device were you planning to pass through to a VM?

--

Darius

0 Kudos