VMware Communities
Loopback92
Contributor
Contributor

GPU Problems With Ubuntu/Windows 10 Dualboot

Im going to explain as detailed as possible my issue but the problem is this:

I have 2 SSD disks, in one i have installed Windows 10 Pro and in other Ubuntu 18.04 freshly installed

If i open VMware workstation from windows10 and i open a windows 7 x64 virtual machine, everything works fine and GPU aceleration + VMware tools works fine so i can play a game inside(BDO)

But from ubuntu 18.04 i cannot, for some reason 3d acceleration or vmware tools are not correctly installed and game dosnt run

Is the same virtual machine and same hardware, the only thing that changes is the Host, in Windows10 works fine, in ubuntu dosnt

Maybe i need to install Something ?

On Both Host i use vmware workstation 15.5 pro

Im pretty noob here i can do something for check im not doing anything bad in ubuntu or install something?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you are seeing this then that is because of the drivers of the GPU at the host.

Seems that in Ubuntu your drivers do not provide the same features than they do in Windows.

Without knowing your hardware it is difficult to suggest anything beyond having a look if there are better, possibly proprietary drivers for your GPU when running under Linux.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Loopback92
Contributor
Contributor

My hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 not OC

GPU: Gigabyte GV-N107TWF2-8GD GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-PRO AMD AM4 X470 ATX

Disks: 2x Samsung 970 EVO (In one Windows 10 in other one Ubuntu 18.04)

RAM: F4-3200C16D-32GTZA

If u need any more info i can provide , thanks for help btw wila

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You probably have to install this driver in Ubuntu:

Drivers | GeForce

I don't think that Ubuntu comes with this driver, only open source one.

edit: Sorry had googled the above link and it turned out to be a very old one (2016), I've updated the link with a recent alternative.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos