VMware Horizon Community
Moltron83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Printer redirection print jobs work after logoff - USB redirection issue?

Hello -

We've been rolling out Windows 1903 desktops to users for a little while, and they all so far have had network printers or a local Dymo label writer.  Now we are starting to get to some users with local USB printers.  The connection devices are PXE booted Ubuntu with the Horizon View client auto launching.  Their local printer USB will appear, and from the Windows desktop you can print to it, but nothing happens.  Then when you logoff the virtual desktop, the job prints. 

It seems like maybe USB redirection and printer redirection are stepping on their toes.  Like maybe the USB printer is redirected after printer redirection occurs or the other way around.  Just starting to troubleshoot... Can anyone make some suggestions?  Does this sound like what is happening?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

We experienced a similar issue wile using the VMWare Horizon Client in unattended/Kiosk mode. When using it like this, it automatically connects usb devices to the VDI, which makes the device unavailable for the computer itself. As printing is not done via USB redirection but via print redirection all jobs are queued until the VDI gets logged of or disconnected and the USB printer is available to the computer again and starts printing.

We have solved this via a GPO where we set a Family exclusion for printers on the USB settings:

Computer Policy \ Administrative Templates \ VMware View Agent Configuration \ View USB Configuration \ Exclude Device Family: Enabled: "o:printer"

pastedImage_1.png

This will basically prevent any usb printer to be redirected via the USB redirection of VMware Horizon.

You should be able to see if the printer is redirected via USB in the debug log file on the client. I don't know however where you'll be able to find them on your connection devices.

Hope this will help you.

Regards.

Regards, Michiel.
cashxxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't seem to work for us here.  It seems to be HP printers that we are having problems with.  A simple basic USB HP LaserJet printer is plugged in, they try to print and nothing prints.  Check the local print queue and they are sitting there.  Logoff Horizon Client vmware session and everything prints then.  The printer doesn't show under the USB Menu while signed in.  I had one case where the printer did show and we unchecked it and it started to print fine.

0 Kudos
rpeb1723
Contributor
Contributor

I know this thread is old but I just came across it.  This issue is when you have the printer connected as a usb device through usb redirection and also through printer redirection.  Uncheck this in the USB redirection area and just let it redirect with the other printers and it should work fine. If it isnt showing up you might have usb devices set to automatically connect in the horizon settings

0 Kudos