VMware Cloud Community
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Viewing more data store performance stats than the last hour

I went into monitoring of a data store and tried to select Performance instead of Disk Space.

But there was a message about statistics gathering at that level hadn't been enabled.

I was able to choose "Real Time" and that gave me statistics for the previous hour

which was helpful. How to I enable more logging of performance data of the datastores?

And where is this data stored and how can I plan to have enough space for its

collection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vCenter can store/show historical Data so be sure that you connect to vCenter rather than to a single Host directly.  Within the vCenter configuration you can adjust the statistic levels (1-4) for the different periods of time. The default is level 1 (lowest).

But vCenter needs to consolidate statistic data so over time you will loose details and not all metrics are tracked.

You should take a look to vRealize Operationsmanager which hold every metric for up to 6 month.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vCenter can store/show historical Data so be sure that you connect to vCenter rather than to a single Host directly.  Within the vCenter configuration you can adjust the statistic levels (1-4) for the different periods of time. The default is level 1 (lowest).

But vCenter needs to consolidate statistic data so over time you will loose details and not all metrics are tracked.

You should take a look to vRealize Operationsmanager which hold every metric for up to 6 month.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Within vCenter, where do I find the widget that lets me adjust the statistics level?

0 Kudos
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the vCenter Server instance.

Select the Manage tab.

Under Settings, select General.

Click Edit.

Select Logging settings.

Select the logging options. Option. Description. None (Disable logging) Turns off logging. Error (Errors only) Displays only error log entries. ...

Click OK.

0 Kudos
vmmedmed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you recommend which level to go to? I saw a note warning off of level 4 - to only use that in a debug situation.

But 2 or 3? Any recommendation?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No... not "logging", its the first entry "statistics".

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos