VMware Communities
mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question: Browsing through disks in non-bootable OS?

Question: Is it somehow possible to browse through local files (C, D drive, etc) in a non bootable VM?

For example, with a dedicated tool that doesn't boot the VM, but allows to view/copy files of the VM in stead?

Background info:

I have an old (ancient) Windows XP VM, which refuses to boot (activation issues), the thing is there are some files on the VM (Word, Excel documents), I would like to copy.

So, I can't get the VM to boot properly. Is there an alternative approach to just get access to the drives and copy specific files from the VM?

I use VM Workstation.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Make a copy of the vmdk file located in the vm xp folder. Create a new virtual machine with the Windows 7 \ 10 operating system, then add a new (secondary) hdd by linking the vmdk file of your xp machine that does not start. At this point you should see the contents of the disc (like 😧 \ or other letters).

inside the disk you can go and search for the files you need.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Make a copy of the vmdk file located in the vm xp folder. Create a new virtual machine with the Windows 7 \ 10 operating system, then add a new (secondary) hdd by linking the vmdk file of your xp machine that does not start. At this point you should see the contents of the disc (like 😧 \ or other letters).

inside the disk you can go and search for the files you need.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Depending on your host OS and the filesystem used by the guest OS on its virtual disks, you may be able to Map or Mount the Virtual Disk to a Drive on the Host System to gain access to your files.

Good luck!

--

Darius

0 Kudos