VMware Cloud Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are these two vpostgres tables being truncated?

Hi. I have been trying to determine why a couple of my VCSA v6.5U3 appliances take several hours to VAMI backup. The DB is actually not that big at all. The final backup size is only about 4GB.

Doing some research I stumbled on some other threads that had huge space issues and how they truncated a couple of vpostgres tables.

The tables are.

vc.vpx_text_array

vc.vpx_task

We have the default level 1 statistics and the default 30 day tasks and events retention.

I wanted to test so I restored the VCSA backup to an isolated environment.

I truncated both tables and my backups run in minutes.

The problem is I am not sure what those tables exactly are. I assume the 2nd one is all the tasks, and I guess it wipes all the saved tasks no matter what the retention is. I have no idea what the first one.

I will of course open a ticket with VMware before I proceed in PROD, but I wanted to know what exactly those two tables are and if there are any downsides people experienced if they truncated these as well before I open a ticket with support.

Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Jeffery ,

VPX_TEXT_ARRAY table contains certain properties of the data objects that are stored as CLOB and are stored in common VPX_TEXT_ARRAY table with different type_id. It also keeps track of virtual machine/host datastore information, which includes snapshots of virtual machines' information.

You can truncate the vpx_text-array and vpx_task (holds all tasks information) .

Regards,

AJ

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos