VMware Communities
4ndr34z
Contributor
Contributor

Feature request? disable vm preview in virtual machine library

Is it possible to disable the live preview in virtual machine library?

It can be very confusing sometimes.

Feature request:

When you open it in a window, the preview could be disabled in virtual machine library, showing that it is open in a window somehow. Not showing the same output.... (this is the confusing part. Multiple windows showing the same screen, but only one interactive)

An even better option, could be making it interactive inside the virtual machine preview, so that you can interact with it without opening a window. It would make more sense?

Of course it has to be possible to open in a window too.

6 Replies
Zongmin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

That's interesting feature request. So the confusing part is the preview Windows not being interactive. We will investigate this and add this into feature backlog.

Thanks,

VMware Fusion Team

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Zongmin,

In an earlier version of VMware Fusion a double click on the preview would open the VM (or start it if it was suspended), I miss that feature and for me personally it would suffice.

I wouldn't even want the preview to be interactive as it tends to be much smaller and it would be easy to click wrong.

Especially so as the preview window is not updated in real time (Yes it is updated, but only once every n seconds).

Also seem to recall reading somewhere that the preview window would black out if the VM is encrypted in order to prevent information leakage.

But apparently that is not for Fusion as I just tested it and the preview still works.

Perhaps it is a vSphere feature?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mateoca
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed. To be honest, I'm not even certain what the point of the preview window is. Especially if you're running only one VM, and it's local.

Either provide the ability to disable, or get rid of it altogether. Just a pointless use of resources.

0 Kudos
AndySchmid
Contributor
Contributor

+1

I also agree that this is pointless and confusing for the user when the preview is interactive. At a minimum there should be an option to disable the preview either for each VM or for all VM in the Library. It's also a possible security risk depending on what you're doing on the VM. It could be that sensitive information is inadvertently shown on a second screen. 

0 Kudos
tdombach
Contributor
Contributor

+1

I do not need the live preview, for me it is useless. It would be nice to save the cpu performance with disabling this preview.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ummm...just close the VM library?

0 Kudos