5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2020 6:59 AM by davel82

VSAN Witness options

davel82 Lurker

Hi

I understand that a VSAN witness for a 2 node deployment can be either a physical host running the free version of ESXi (selected during VSAN 2 node setup, and not added to the cluster beforehand) - but it does require VSAN licensing.  The alternative is the VSAN witness appliance, which does not require a license.

Can you run a host, with the free version of vsphere, and run the witness appliance on it?

The scenario is I have a requirement for a secure site with a 2 node VSAN.  The witness will reside at the same site - however this will be a much smaller server and in an effort to keep costs down I would rather just virtualise it with a free copy of ESXi and run the witness appliance then on that host instead.

I cannot see any limitations to it working, but cannot see any clarification if its allowed....

• 1. Re: VSAN Witness options
          TheBobkin Virtuoso
          VMware EmployeesvExpert

Hello davel82,

Yes it is "allowed" but note the CPU requirements for 6.7 also:

'VMware provides a vSAN Witness Appliance for those customers who do not wish to use a physical host for this role'...'This can include an ESXi Free licensed host'

vSAN Witness Host | vSAN Stretched Cluster Guide | VMware

Bob

• 2. Re: VSAN Witness options
            TheBobkin Virtuoso
            vExpertVMware Employees

"a physical host running the free version of ESXi (selected during VSAN 2 node setup, and not added to the cluster beforehand) - but it does require VSAN licensing"

It doesn't require a vSAN license - only a vSphere license (whichever has the requirements you need as it can also run other VMs on it if required/capable) - vSAN licensing is always on the cluster-level, a standalone physical Witness doesn't need to be in a vSphere cluster.

Bob

• 3. Re: VSAN Witness options
              davel82 Lurker

Thanks for the reply - that does look to be correct.

In the VMware documentation regarding the Physical witness, it states the following: -

Licensing

If using a physical host as a vSAN Witness Host, it must be licensed with a valid vSphere license. This does not require the same licensed edition as the vSAN Cluster it is supporting.

Does the free esxi license qualify as a valid license, assuming that this host won't be used for any other purpose...

• 4. Re: VSAN Witness options
                TheBobkin Virtuoso
                vExpertVMware Employees

"Does the free esxi license qualify as a valid license, assuming that this host won't be used for any other purpose..."

Yes, as per my first reply (and as noted in the referenced documentation).

Bob

• 5. Re: VSAN Witness options
                  davel82 Lurker

Thanks - admittedly I didn't click the link on your first post and went straight to your second post, doh!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated