VMware Horizon Community
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Office on Base, Visio in AppStack

Is it not possible to have the base Office suite (word, excel, outlook, ect.) on the base image and have Visio/Project in a AppStack?

I'm trying with Office 2019 on the base image and I've tried both 2016 and 2019 visio/project.

I can install them when I'm not capturing the installs, but when I do try to capture them it fails.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
cliffvmwareeuc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What software is installed on your provisioning/capture VM?

0 Kudos
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You mean other than the base Office suite? Some printer drivers.

0 Kudos
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had tried that previously (but with 2016 Office). I ran into it constantly causing Office applications reconfiguring on first launch. I ended up just building it into my template. I imagine it was some mismatch of office update versions between the template, the AppVolCapture box, and the Visio install.

0 Kudos
cliffvmwareeuc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you open a case for this as this type of issue while somewhat common can be very difficult to diagnose.

It will require the review of a few files that will be present on the provisioning VM during capture and also on a VM created from the base image with a volume attached.

There will also be Agent log analysis required from the provisioning VM and the end user VM's

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any updates on this.

My organisation is looking at 64bit Office2019 and currently VDI cant till we get Visio/Project going.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ended up just including Visio and Project in the base image and deleted the short cuts. Those who need it we add those short cuts back using DEM

0 Kudos
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hit post too soon.

VMware support ended up just tell me that 2019 still isn't supported yet.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just FYI.

If a user sends a Visio/Project document or access it from group drive clearly it will open with visio/project and you may be in breach as all your users are licensed even if they not.

No reason for a user to request Visio/Project as it will auto open with visio/project anyway.

just fyi

0 Kudos