VMware Communities
human_v09
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 11.5.1 (15018442) VM running on Catalina 10.15.3 crashes when switching desktops to VM

Running Windows 7 and a Ubuntu 14.04 VMs on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).

The problem has been observed whether running one or both if the VMs, though it has been observed more when running the Ubuntu VM.

The problem occurs when switching desktops from a macOS desktop to the VM desktop (macOS Spaces). The problem usually manifests itself as a frozen screen with the VMs screen partially visible. After a delay the mac will start responding again and switching to the VM displays a crash message.

Recovery requires the VM to be restarted, no previous state is maintained, i.e., work in the VM is lost.

Tried to attach crash report from a recent occurrence but apparently it is too large.

Problem was not previously observed under multiple macOS and Fusion 8.x versions over a 5 year period, last stable configuration was macOS Mojave (10.14) and Fusion 8.5.10.

System details:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 158.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

Intel Iris Pro:

Chipset Model:    Intel Iris Pro

Type:     GPU

Bus:      Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max):      1536 MB

Vendor:   Intel

Device ID:        0x0d26

Revision ID:      0x0008

Automatic Graphics Switching:     Supported

gMux Version:     4.0.8 [3.2.8]

Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type:     Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution:       2880 x 1800 Retina

Framebuffer Depth:        24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display:     Yes

Mirror:   Off

Online:   Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness:  No

Connection Type:  Internal

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Type:     GPU

Bus:      PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:  x8

VRAM (Total):     2 GB

Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:        0x0fe9

Revision ID:      0x00a2

ROM Revision:     3776

Automatic Graphics Switching:     Supported

gMux Version:     4.0.8 [3.2.8]

Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please save the vmware.log after the VM crashes?

It can be found in the YourVMName.vmwarevm bundle.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
human_v09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is this what you're looking for? I also have a Fusion Problem Report which is 137MB so I can't attach here. If there is a way for me to upload it, I will be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Nitin

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Nitin,

Yes, it is. It would be better to get the full support bundle.

Could you follow the instruction in this KB article and login to the FTP server: Uploading diagnostic information for VMware using FTP . Then create a new folder and upload the support bundle to the folder. After that, please inform us the folder name you've created (Email: zhus@vmware.com). We'll forward it to engineer team for further investigation.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Shan

0 Kudos
alberta123
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue on about the same configuration (MacOS 10.15.4, VWware Fusion 11.5.3 and Windows 7).  I have opened a WMware support ticket a while ago but with no resolution yet.  Does anyone have a resolution or workaround?

0 Kudos
Min-Yu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello human_v09,

Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce your crashing issue internally at VMware. Nevertheless, we did have some fixes in our latest version of VMware Fusion that should be able to make Fusion more stable. If possible, could you please try again with the latest MacOS 10.15.7 and/or MacOS 11.1 GA and the latest VMware Fusion 12.1.0?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
BobHodges
Contributor
Contributor

I have a worse problem. 
I just upgraded from VMWare Fusion 11 to Fusion 12. It has crashed my iMac and I can't get it to boot and stay on.
Called customer Service and they told me they'd be happy to help me if I purchases a service contract. 
Is this how you sell service contracts? Bad software and sell the solution?
I need help and a solution.

0 Kudos
joserfonseca
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have a worse problem. 
> I just upgraded from VMWare Fusion 11 to Fusion 12. It has crashed my iMac and I can't get it to boot and stay on.

This looks like a different problem, possibly not graphics related.  I recommend you start a separate discussion to get more visibility), describe the symptoms in more detail (what do you mean by can't get it to stay on precisely), and include relevant logs, such as vmware.log inside the VM.

0 Kudos