1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2020 7:13 PM by yanw

VMware Workstation 15.5 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error

etrogneux Lurker

The premature end "Rolling back action:" is reported in other discussions, and I couldn't find a solution until now.

The steps I've followed are:
      a. I updated my Windows 7 (64-bit) with Windows update

b. I uninstalled VC++ 2015-2019 Redistribution packages

c. I uninstalled and removed all previous VMware software, files and registry entries

d. I uninstalled and removed all previous hcmon software, files and registry entries

e. I fixed the hcmon driver issue using the EnableHCMON registry entry fix

f. I install VMware Workstation 15.5 and it fails rolling back the install, with no explicit reasons

Please find attached the corresponding installation log file.

In vmmsi log file, I found:

Action 20:31:36: VM_InstallVmmon. Installing the vmx driver.

MSI (s) (74:C0) [20:31:36:684]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_InstallVmmon,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMInstallVmmon,CustomActionData=5;Win7)

MSI (s) (74:FC) [20:31:36:684]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIACDC.tmp, Entrypoint: VMInstallVmmon

CustomAction VM_InstallVmmon returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 20:31:36: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

• 1. Re: VMware Workstation 15.5 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error
          yanw Hot Shot
          VMware Employees

Hi, Would you please try below workaround?

Step1: Cancel Workstation installation or Uninstall Workstation

Step2: Delete all files under %TEMP% directory

Step3: Open "cmd" as administrator, and execute "sc stop vmx86 & sc delete vmx86"

Step4: Delete files "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vmx86.sys" if has

Step5: Goto c:\windows\system32\drvstore, delete folder which prefix by "vmx86", general the folder name should be vmx86_{guid}

Step5: Open cmd as Administrator, cd to your folder that contains the installer package and run “VMware-workstation-full-xxxxx.exe /r”

Step6: Reboot host and then install Workstation again