VMware Cloud Community
thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

vSAN Licence

Hi,

I would like to buy a vSAN license for a 3 host cluster, which is the best vSAN solution to choose where each host has 12 TB storage. Also, Do I buy vSAN and vSphere separately or there is a package that includes both of them that I can get?.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Regards

4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello thuso607

"which is the best vSAN solution to choose where each host has 12 TB storage"

Which licensing edition of vSAN you require depends on what features you want/require e.g. if you want to use Dedupe&Compression then Advanced licensing is required, if this is a Hybrid configuration then you won't be able to use Dedupe&Compression anyway so Standard edition should suffice.

What vSphere licensing edition is required is also a 'it depends what you needs' - vSAN is agnostic of this and runs on any licensing edition of vSphere (and comes with free vDS).

"Do I buy vSAN and vSphere separately or there is a package that includes both of them that I can get?"

T180985 "No you dont need to buy seperate licences" - Sorry but this is incorrect.

vSphere/ESXi licensing is separate from vSAN licensing and these are required in addition to each other. While there are/were some packages that contain both (e.g. HCI Acceleration kit and IIRC one other vCloud license) I do not see any of these currently available in the VMware online store and thus you would probably have to contact our sales team or go through a 3rd-party vendor to acquire these.​

Bob

thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the helpful feedback. Also, I noticed the vSAN Licence editions are not available on the vmware store (https://store.vmware.com/). So how do I go about buying the license for a vSAN standard edition.

Regards

https://store.vmware.com/store?Action=home&Locale=en_IE&SiteID=vmwde

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your question was already answered:

"I do not see any of these currently available in the VMware online store and thus you would probably have to contact our sales team or go through a 3rd-party vendor to acquire these."

Contact Sales, Contact Support, Product Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog