VMware Communities
Danielx64
Contributor
Contributor

To upgrade or wait?

I currently own VMware Workstation Pro 14. I am aware that VMware Workstation Pro 15.5 is out. Would anyone have a clue on when VMware Workstation Pro 16 would be released? I can't decide if I should upgrade to 15.5 now or wait for 16 and then upgrade?

I believe that you can only upgrade from the last 2 major versions so I know that when/if 16 comes out I would want to pay the upgrade price and not full price.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That really is a question only you can answer.

The time frame for releasing a new version when looking at the past is yearly and between late September, early November.

Beware though that Workstation 14 is EOL and that there will not be any security patches for it anymore before you can use VMware Workstation 16.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Danielx64
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I am aware that I won't get any more updates for WS 14 (I have 14.1.8 right now, the same deal I suppose). When 16 comes out, would I still be able to get upgrade pricing or not?

Also is there a grace period for free upgrades or not?

Cheers

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The current upgrade is from version 12 or later: Virtual Machine for Business - Buy Workstation Pro | VMware

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Nobody can give you guarantees.

VMware might be able to do so, but they won't comment on future implementations of anything.

It's a policy that is rarely broken.

All we can do is look at the past and hope that it might work the same in the future.

If things are like they are now then -at least in theory- you would still get an upgrade price.

The grace period tends to be a month or something along those lines.

For clarity: I do not work for VMware. (VMware employees have a little black "vm" icon next to their name)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos