VMware Workspace ONE Community
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scheduler not running

Not sure if this was upgrade related or what, but just noticed that the scheduled jobs do not seem to be running. So things like getting the latest version of an existing app from Apple or devices being queried from time to time are not happening. All the jobs show last successful completion as blank and as an example this is the details:

Name MDM Application List Sample

Frequency Every 2 Minutes

Last Start Time 1/1/0001 12:00 AM

Last Successful Completion 1/1/0001 12:00 AM

Number Of Times Run 0 time(s)

Status Waiting

Funny enough in this job it says the minimum frequency should be 10 minutes so not sure if they changed that and left the defaults and if it's then still working or not. All services show running on all the servers. Any thoughts? This is 1902 Thanks. Steve

Labels (1)
13 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Restart the device scheduler service on the console it is running on. That should get it going again.
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Luke.  You da man!!!  So apparently it's been dead since the upgrade I would guess.  Interestingly when I tried to stop the service it gave me an ' Incorrect Function'  message and then stopped.  I started it and it says running.  Now everything shows good with 1 run of each job.  Stopping and starting the service again didn't error.

Steve
blackhug0
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar issues with my scheduler after upgrade to 1903. After a service restart he runs for one or two days and then stop working with a ado.net error in the log file. I don‘t have a solution till now. Ticket is open...

So check your scheduler tomorrow again 😉
0 Kudos
MartinHnow
Contributor
Contributor

We also lost it with the 1810.
The support tries to help but now i see, that this not last long. I will observe the service to get more on that. Perhaps automatic restart by scheduler...
0 Kudos
syarbrou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So far hasn't been that long as just yesterday afternoon, but came in this morning and everything is still running on the scheduler.  Couple things:

1. Did anyone else see the ' Incorrect Function'  error I got when stopping the device scheduler service?
2. Was the experience the same for everyone else that was for me.  In other words service showed running but wasn't actually or wasn't doing anything or was it stopped?

If necessary a task scheduler to stop and start the service would probably work but not really the answer.  I can say that my dev environment, which is a mirror of prod other than less devices, has the device scheduler service seemingly running and showing last run dates updating all the time.

Steve
0 Kudos
blackhug0
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the Service shows running, but it isn’t.
The incorrect function error is related to that fact. The service thinks he is up but I can’t find the service exe on task manager. So the exe crashes sometimes and I can’t find a reason.

I have two console servers with the same issue, so I think the reason has to be somewhere in the database?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

My Scheduler was dropping anytime a lapse in SQL connection occurred for whatever reason. Contact support, they have some fixes to help mitigate these issues.
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Restarting the Device Scheduler service has temporarily resolved the issue for me in 2005 on-premise. It was also working every time the server rebooted but that was overkill. Glad to hear support has some ideas. I will be putting in a ticket the next time I see scheduler has stopped working and will reference this forum thread. Glad to hear you're still solving issue Luke!

RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I put in a ticket to see what ideas they have:  Your support request number is 20150684408.

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I do what I can Smiley Happy LIfe has been busy lately!

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

So here is what support had me do a while back:

After doing some digging, I found there have been some Scheduler improvements with In-memory scheduling. In console 1904, we automatically set the 'InMemoryScheduleryFeature' flag set to true. This allows the service to continue running even during a DB outage. Starting in console 1811, this option is available, but we must turn it on manually.

Here are the steps you will need to take to enable this:

1. Get the Global OG UUID from the following db query:

select LocationGroupUUID from LocationGroup (nolock) where locationgroupid = 7

2. Call the following API

https://<host>/api/system/featureflag/InMemorySchedulerFeatureFlag/<GlobalOGUUID>/true 

where GlobalOGUUID is your UUID. retrieved from the step above.

Method: POST

Here are headers that are required:

Headers:
authorization: Basic [Base64 Encoded Credentials]
content-type: application/json
aw-tenant-code: [API Key]
accept: application/json

Expected response should be 204 No Content

3. Validate if Feature Flag is enabled by calling the following api. Expected response is 200.

https://{host}/api/system/featureflag/InMemorySchedulerFeatureFlag/{GlobalOGUUID}

Method: GET

with the following response:

{
"name": "InMemorySchedulerFeatureFlag",
"isEnabled": true,
"state": "Production"
}
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

While I no longer worry about the job scheduler not running as a Saas customer, we did run into an issue a couple of times where one of the jobs for device compliance wasn't running and no one knew about it since the job scheduler was running fine.

0 Kudos
alex17pat
Contributor
Contributor

I have fixed my problem by making changes in task conditions.

0 Kudos