VMware Communities
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2012 virtual machines do not start (BSOD error 0xC000021A) or loop through the recovery menu

Windows Server 2012 virtual machines will not start (BSOD error 0xC000021A) or loop through the recovery menu in WMware Workstation 15 Pro version 15.5.1 build-15018455!

The virtual machines were copied from VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 15160138 are in version 14 and with VMTools version 11265.

did anyone experience this problem?

Thanks,

Zé Madaleno

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I inform that the problem no longer exists.

Thanks for the support and for the information provided.

The problem was happening because I was using a copy of the VMs, obtained through the backup copy of Veeam, which are incremental copies and contained the transition from VMware ESXi version 6.5 to version 6.7.

I tested a new copy of the VMs, but this time full, without containing the transition from the ESXi version. And in these conditions the problem does not occur!

thanks.

best regards,

Zé Madaleno

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for using VMware Workstation 15.5 pro.

Did you copy the virtual machines files from esxi server directly ? Did you try to use ovf tools or download VM from WMware Workstation 15 Pro connected to esxi server?

if possible, Could you pls help to share more information(such as vmx file,vmware.log etc.).

0 Kudos
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes, the virtual machines were directly copied from ESXi. It worked well for the past three years, until last week I updated the ESXi to version 6.7 (they were in 6.5) and the vm's to version 14.

I didn't get to try it with ovf tools. I didn't try to connect WMware Workstation 15 Pro to ESXi because it is a production environment.

What details do you need from the vmx file, vmware.log?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Can someone please test a copy of a virtual machine directly from ESXi 6.7 to Workstation 15 Pro, to see if the error is reproduced?

Thanks

0 Kudos
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

This issue couldn't be reproduced in our environment. we copied a win2012R2 VM  directly from ESXi 6.7u3 server(15160138) and the VM can boot as normally.

BTW, copy the virtual machines files from esxi server directly  is not  recommended by VMware official. there may be some configurations will most likely lead to a compatibility problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you very much for the test.

During this week I will try to perform additional tests and then I will share the results or conclusions.

best regards

0 Kudos
ZeMadaleno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I inform that the problem no longer exists.

Thanks for the support and for the information provided.

The problem was happening because I was using a copy of the VMs, obtained through the backup copy of Veeam, which are incremental copies and contained the transition from VMware ESXi version 6.5 to version 6.7.

I tested a new copy of the VMs, but this time full, without containing the transition from the ESXi version. And in these conditions the problem does not occur!

thanks.

best regards,

Zé Madaleno

0 Kudos