VMware Workspace ONE Community
MUHAMMADLUTFIMO
Contributor
Contributor

DB Upgrade Issue. MigrationTasksRunner errors.

Hi. On our UAT on-prem environment that is on 9.2.3.27, we tried to do an upgrade to 9.7. While trying to do the DB step upgrade from 9.2.3 to 9.3, we received an error for MigrationTaskRunner.exe failed to run correctly (which can be seen here : https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360010146653).

However, since our environment is not running VPP, we proceeded with the DB step upgrade to 9.7. And through every DB step upgrade, we faced the same MigrationTaskRunner error. At the end of all the upgrade, we had several enrollment issues and found these issues stem from some important DB tables that were renamed improperly after the DB upgrade. After renaming some of these tables, we resolved the enrollment issues.

AirWatch Support mentioned that it might be due to some of the ports that were not opened, but this can't be true as we did the previous upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.3 with no DB issue. I've looked through the Recommended Network Architecture (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/9.7/vmware-airwatch-guides-97/GUID-AW97-Network-...) and as far as I can tell, we've enabled all these ports and destinations.

I've read through some of the forum posts and some of the users were saying that they ran the DB application update from Console server itself. AirWatch Support also recommends this. In my environment, DB does not have internet access, only console and DS through proxy. We've never ran DB application update from console server before. Just wondering how everyone else does it.

AirWatch Support recommends doing a UDL test (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/farukcelik/2007/12/31/basics-first-udl-test/) to ensure that the console connects to DB properly, before running DB application update from console. But I can never seem to get this to connect and work properly.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance and guidance. Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pankaj1305131
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Lutfi,
I believe your environment DB server have no internet access so just ask support team for alternative solution.
Thank you,
Best Regards,
Pankaj Kapoor
Team Lead AirWatch
HP: +65 91825179 T: +65 68895275
0 Kudos
MUHAMMADLUTFIMO
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the input.

Regards and Thank you.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why would the DB server require Internet access as long as both DS and console servers can communicate to it?
I've done numerous upgrades in the past, and I always run the DB installer from the console server. I used to run the application installer first to stop the services and then launch run the DB installer when prompted. Now to save time, I simply run the DB installer individually first but still from the console server.
0 Kudos
MUHAMMADLUTFIMO
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thomas. Noted with much thanks on the assistance. I've never had to run DB upgrades from outside of DB server itself in the past, until I stepped upgrade to 9.3, when I ran into that error. I did a UDL test to see whether my console server is able to reach my DB server but it was unsuccessful. However, my console server is still able to query port to DB server through -netconnection -port in PowerShell. Not sure if this will cause issues with the DB upgrade as the configured port is a custom port. I remember that when I ran the console upgrade application, there was one prompt that indicated that the process was unable to determine whether DB has been updated or not, but I am still able to proceed.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The database does not need internet access but the 9.7 database updater does https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360010146653 try running the database updater from your console server instead of the database server.

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The network requirements for the database update and the console functioning talking to the database are the same so if your console server works I would not think you would have networking issue with the upgrade, I did not see your database access concerns the first time.
0 Kudos
MUHAMMADLUTFIMO
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephen,
Noted and thank you for the input. Much appreciated. I'll be upgrading to 1810 and try running the DB upgrade installer from console sometime next week.
0 Kudos