How to make full backup of managed ios device

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
LukasMuth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ernest,
I think, you want to backup only the user data for a device change, is this right?
Regards,
Lukas
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

There are no inherent ways to do a full device backup on an iPhone. There are forensic solutions out there to do that job, but nothing built in by iOS.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Or more specifically, what's the purpose of the full backup?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

This sometimes is a basic question on new MDM setups. Folks coming from a desktop mgmt world are used to device backups as a whole, images.  I encounter this all the time myself when consulting on UEM.
0 Kudos
ErnestGross
Contributor
Contributor

HI guys and thanks for response. To be more specific, Im trying to backup my users devices to iCloud using personal Apple ID. Backup procedure works fine but in the event of Factory Reset or Device Wipe, i would like this backup to be restored to same or different device. But when i go to do this it results in a device that at first glance looks good but apps have a little cloud beside them with a downloading arrow pointing down and apps DO NOT LOAD.  Also device does not communicate with Airwatch console and User Credentials  in Rmote Managment were not asked for during startup procedure.

0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you restore to the same DEP device, I suspect you are using agent enrollment. The device should communicate with the console under the staging account if not a user account.
0 Kudos
tsmithcoc
Contributor
Contributor

Ernest,

Did you ever hear from AirWatch about this? We're having the same issue.

After performing an 'enterprise wipe' we then perform the iCloud or iTunes backup then erase the phone back to factory.

During setup assistant, we then restore from the backup (it comes before 'remote management') and after the restore it seems to bypass the DEP enrollment process entirely.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
ErnestGross
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  What i usually do since my last post is get my users to setup AppleID on their DEP devices and make sure they do regular backups.  Their problem if they dont.  If they need new device then we do and restore from icloud by signing into device with AppleID.  This only restores Text messages, Settings, Photo app content, Notes, ect.- In other words just the Native apps and their content.  Other apps will not load and their content will be gone.  It helps to store files on cloud apps such as dropbox or google drive.   DEP profile is also restored to device.
If anyone out there has a better plan please post it.
0 Kudos