VMware Workspace ONE Community
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Compatibility patch for upcoming Apple devices

I thought in the past you can almost always enroll the latest release of Apple devices even if you have not upgraded your AirWatch or Workspace ONE to a newer version. Am I correct?

If so, the upcoming ones must have something different that requires such compatibility patch to be installed first prior to enrollment.

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360009077393

Labels (1)
122 Replies
sanroman
Contributor
Contributor

HI, I was wondering about this too. Is it for upcoming Apple devices (hardware) or for upcoming Apple OS releases?
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe it should be for hardware as existing devices would probably be upgraded to the newer iOS as well sooner or later.
If anyone else can confirm, that would be great.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I've been using ios12 with 9.6 for sometime now and see no issues. So I can't even speculate what they are patching really. Must be something I don't deal with or didn't notice was broken. Maybe they are adding support for Modern Auth across console versions? They didn't specify yet.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it is saying you need the patch to enroll iOS 12 devices.  I ticketed on this and got the response below, which the line  ' Is the problem with just enrolling devices on the new Apple releases or will it also affect devices already enrolled who then update their device?'  to me reads that all devices at iOS 12 will be unable to enroll.  I have tried and failed to get a clearer answer.  Has anyone else got a timeline for the patch release? they will not tell us

' Thank you for your response.

In an effort to prepare for upcoming Apple device releases, a patch for Workspace One UEM (AirWatch) Console will be required for continued device enrollment. To mitigate any disruption to enrollment, the patch will be made available in advance.

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360009077393-Compatibility-patch-for-upcoming-Apple-device...

Is the problem with just enrolling devices on the new Apple releases or will it also affect devices already enrolled who then update their device?
>> Already enrolled devices may encounter issues mentioned in the below article. Only IOS devices with IOS version upgraded to 12 or new devices with the IOS version 12 will be defected.
Reference : https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360004929434

If you have any further concerns or queries please feel free to drop me an email.'
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope this patch is only required if you are to enroll new device to be announced on 09/12/18.
I have yet to upgrade to 9.6 or beyond, and I would hate to have to do i twice within a short window.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

They are generating patches for all console versions it seems.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is just a question of when they will be generated I still do not see the patch available to download which is getting close when they tell you to schedule maintenance windows which indicates downtime
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am very concerned with this.  When we last upgraded we went to 9.2.3 patch 10.  They are now up to patch 26 and will this new patch be 27.  We would have to test all that they have changed in 16 patches.
0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what we got back from AirWatch.  It does not seem that they are advertising this very well as a mandatory patch.  Anyone upgrading to iOS 12 on any iOS device could experience issues. 
• The patch is created to mitigate any disruption in the enrollment process or command/APIs send from the Console
• The recommendation is to install the patch.
• Our development teams are actively working on a compatibility patch for the following versions:
They listed AirWatch versions from 9.1.4 through 9.7.
0 Kudos
DaleAlderton
Contributor
Contributor

I heard the patch is something to do with Apple changing the character length of the UDID on their devices. So presumably it is a DB patch to accommodate different field length when a device enrols with this ' new'  UDID. I can't verify this though.
0 Kudos
sturmanc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/360009077393

Background of UDID

UDID is an acronym for Unique Device ID, which uniquely identifies Apple devices. This unique ID cannot be changed by the user, nor by Apple, as it is assigned to the motherboard of the device. An operating system update will not change the UDID.

Historically, iOS devices have had a UDID of 40 characters in length. It is possible this could change in upcoming releases to be lesser, greater - not adhering to the 40 character length.
Impact to changes in UDID

Devices with shorter or longer UDIDs (devices with UDIDs other than 40 characters) will be unable to enroll into Workspace ONE UEM Console.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Claude. I subscribed to this post but somehow didn't get any email when the post was updated today (9/20/18).
So if I understand this correctly, such patch is required if you are to enroll new Apple devices (XS, etc.). So technically you can hold off until you are ready to enroll these newly announced devices. Correct?
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now imagine in the end the length of UDIDs remains the same...
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

the UDID is eventually going to expand, a 40 character limit will eventually no hold enough unique possibilities based on how many iOS devices are in the wild. I'm expecting an iPhone Xs Max tomorrow and will attempt enrolling it.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm very jealous of you Luke! I'm still using an iPhone 6. 😞
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They also slipped a note in at the end saying that the browser tunnel will need to be patched for the new devices and giving a installer version 9.7 usually the tunnel installers are the same or lower console version, or you can replace a file for the patch if you cannot update the component which makes me wonder if tunnel 9.7 can be used with a lower console version (which is everyone on premise)
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stephen,
I just upgraded my Tunnel Proxy and wrote a blog post about it. Check it out before it gets taken down! So far, no issue after the upgrade.

https://techiecheng.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/tunnel-proxy-compatibility-patch-for-upcoming-apple-dev...
0 Kudos
JamieAndersonJa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just applied the hotfix (9.2.3.10 -> 9.2.3.27) and now the majority of AW services on the CS & DS will not start. I hope you all fair better.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

j a., I wouldn't be surprised if all your issues will be removed once you upgrade to a newer version.
Before my upgrade, no one could figure out a connectivity issue between SEG and AW. After upgrading to 9.6, the issue disappeared.
0 Kudos