VMware Cloud Community
druizm1203
Contributor
Contributor

Help! service High availability

Good afternoon,

I've got a virtual infrastructure VMware sphere 6.7, the cluster is made by 3 physical host, I would like to enable the service of high availability only for three virtual machine but not for every virtual machine of the host , could it be possible to do that ?

Thank you and best wishes.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes it is.

- You enable HA on the Cluster globaly

- Than you go to "VM Overides" to disable certain VMs from functions like HA, DRS and so on

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
druizm1203
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening,

Thank you very much !!

Regards.

0 Kudos
druizm1203
Contributor
Contributor

Good evening,

I Just want to migrate specific  virtual machines to a specific host, where is that configuration?

Thank you very much.

regards.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You could manually migrate the VMs, or if you want automation and control via DRS use a VM-Host rule.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Please check the DRS affinity rules to understand how to create VM-Host affinity rules

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

druizm1203

you mean that VMware HA only restart a VM on a specified Host? This is a 2 step configuration:

1. Enable DRS (Enterprise+ needed) and create a Host and VM group and a VM Rule

2. Set two adv. Options in HA configuration

das.respectVmHostSoftAffinityRules = true
das.respectVmVmAntiAffinityRules = true

So HA can leverage DRS configuration during an HA event and can ensure that VMs only on specific Hosts comes back.

These Settings have defaults which change in different vCenter versions. Also for a short time it was possible to configure it in the WebClient... but i cant find it in today HTML5 Client. Thats why i set them manually. On small (non campus clusters) i set the values to "false" to ensure that HA restarts VMs in first place. The DRS can be adjust VM location later....

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos