VMware Cloud Community
Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connection error: could not negotiate SSL.

Hi All,

Ever since I updated the VMWare Remote Console from 10.x to 11.0 I am getting the following error message when trying to connect to a VM:

Connection error: could not negotiate SSL.

pastedImage_0.png

Any ideas?

Everything works fine with remote console versions pre 11.0.

TIA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

Please check all your certificates. Here is another thread with a similar issue: Black screen when launching VM Remote Console from vCloud Director 9.5

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
linanwang
Contributor
Contributor

Even after you properly setup the SSL certification, you may still see the error if connect from local network, as the VMRC tries to use local ip to connect. Local ip will not match any domain name from your certification. Try to add an entry in you local machine host name resolve, for Windows edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts by add a line of "<local ip> <domain name of server>", for example:

192.168.1.10 vm.mydomain.net

0 Kudos
falken76
Contributor
Contributor

@linanwang wrote:

Even after you properly setup the SSL certification, you may still see the error if connect from local network, as the VMRC tries to use local ip to connect. Local ip will not match any domain name from your certification. Try to add an entry in you local machine host name resolve, for Windows edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts by add a line of "<local ip> <domain name of server>", for example:

192.168.1.10 vm.mydomain.net

I'm sorry, I am just playing with Esxi so I don't have a full understanding of how it all works.  My ESXi host must have a self signed SSL because port 80 is blocked on my connection, but I can access everything through port 443. (It's run from home off a residential ISP connection).  My ESXi acts a little weird and I don't leave it accessible unless I know I'm going somewhere and need to access it.  I think I should setup a VPN for that.  ESXi doesn't load the login screen the first time, it just goes to a blue screen, then you refresh it and the login will actually show up, then it works like normal everywhere except for VMRC.  I get the SSL error when I try to use it.  I'm behind cloudflare and a kemp load balancer that holds certificates.  I thought this was happening because I didn't use any of the ssl pem and key files from letsencrypt on ESXi, but if that was the reason causing VMRC to fail, why can I access everything else under SSL?

I will definitely try entering that code.  Is there something I can edit on a Ubuntu machine that would associate the internal IP to the domain also?

0 Kudos