VMware Cloud Community
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating VM to Another Network - Inaccessible

Hi All,

I tried some searching first but didn't see an answer to my question.

I am building a backup system with one VM running Veeam and another with a DC on it.  I was able to add the host to our vcenter and apply a license to it.  I only have setup the VM that will be using Veeam so far.  When I try to login to my AD account after joining the VM to the domain, I get the message about the domain being unavailable even though joining the domain appeared to go smooth.

I realized the VM is on a different network in vCenter.  I have tried to migrate the VM to the same network that the AD/DC VMs are on but it is not an option.  I attached a screenshot that says the destination network is inaccessible.  Our infrastructure is fairly simple as we are a small shop/one office.  Any suggestions to solve this issue I'm experiencing?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

why migrate networks? you can change the network from "edit settings \ network" of the virtual machine.

VMware Knowledge Base

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aromeo,

When I tried that, the network I am wanting to connect to is not listed as an option.  Although the network I want to connect/move to is on the list of networks in vCenter.  So I was trying to migrate in an attempt for that to work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter Server shows all port groups from all connected hosts. However, this doesn't mean that - in case of standard vSwitches - the port groups have been created on all hosts.

André

0 Kudos
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

I'm incredibly new to this so not sure what you mean.  I need to add another distributed switch group to this new host so the VMs can be added to the existing group?

Thank you for your time,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on the switch type (standard, or distributed), you may either need to create vSwitches, and port groups separately on each host (that's for Standard vSwitches), or add a host to a distributed vSwitch.

André

0 Kudos
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

it is a distributed switch.  When I try to add the host to a distributed switch by using the "Actions" menu, the only option I have is in the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.50.05 AM.png

But when I right-click the distributed switch on the left, on the same highlighted switch, I can 'Add a host'.  However I am experiencing a new issue of "datastore conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter with the same URL but backed by a different physical storage".

I tried some searching on fixing that but so far no luck in solving that issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to be able to find out what's causing this, you'd need to provide details about your setup, like networking, storage, ...

If you are willing (entitled) to post detailed information here on VMTN, then it will be a pleasure for me to see whether I can help. If taht's not possible, you may consider to open a support case with VMware.

André

0 Kudos
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

I hope your weekend was well.

What information do you need?  I very much appreciate your willingness to give me a hand with this!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The first question is about your shared storage.

What type of shared storage do you use (iSCSI, FC, NFS)? In case of iSCSI, and NFS, how is the storage access configured (iSCSI targets, NFS shares). Some screenshots may help.

André

0 Kudos
DodgyMike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

I am trying to locate any more information besides VMFS 5 - but I'm not sure where else to look.  I am not sure if that is enough information about the storage.

It looks like the URL for the esxi04_datastore1 and esxi_boot screenshots are the same.  It seems "esxi_boot" and "datastore1" are from the host I'm trying to add (since there's no VMs on it yet).

There are only 3 hosts in our environment, including the one I want to add.

0 Kudos