Contributor

vmWare Workstation - Need help with pfsense/win2k/phyiscal pc

Hello All,

I need help with the following diagram, i'm trying to achieve as per below:

Virtual

1. Win2k runs as DHCP/DNS

2. pfSense runs as gateway in my lab.

Physical:

1. My PC Physical NIC is connected to a switch with specific VLAN - which i have added another vNIC on win2k virtual to DHCP and bridged that with my physical nic, physical NIC is working fine as it is receiving the dhcp from the dhcp server, but i cannot ping virtual pfsense in this case it is running as virtual firewall inside my lab, but i can ping my dhcp server on the second nic not the first nic.

Can someone have an idea what should i do, is it something i have to tweak in pfsense or win2kserver to make this work? (why do i need to be able to see the gateway is due to access to internet) - i want my physical device to be able to go through pfsense firewall then connect to internet which icant achieve as yet?

pastedImage_0.png

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Workstation Pro (assuming you’re using Pro and not Player)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Barry219823
Contributor
Contributor

yes thanks it is wpro

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Basically this could be one working map.

pastedImage_0.png

Disable VMnet1 DHCP as the firewall will offer DHCP.

To disable TCP/IP on VMnet0 disable TCP/IP protocol on the physical nic.

Barry219823
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the idea, but i want to have my Virtual Win2k12 as DHCP/DNS in this case, due to more options of DHCP then from Firewall Pfsense.

From Virtual World i want the win2k12 to dhcp on physical world, which is working buti can't get outside to internet through pfsense gateway.

Win2k12 - > 2 x vNICs (1st vNIC is on the same network with pfSense firewall, 2nd vNIC is Brdged or connected directly to a physical NIC in my PC, and that Physical NIC is connected to VLAN2 on my switch where it contains 4 ports within the same VLAN2, so the WIN2k12 is providing DHCP for those 4 ports via 2nd vNIC to physical NIC and to VLAN2 on my switch, but anything connected to it can't see the pfsense or gateway as it is receiving the IP via DHCP from 1stvNIC of win2k12) - going forward it must be something simple to fix here to get the 2 vNICs in win2k server to talk to eachother or route the traffic somehow, or i need ot add another vNIC in pfsense to contact the 2nd vNIC in win2k2012 then it can route to the WAN.

So we have two options, tweak the pfSense or Win2k12Smiley Happy. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos