VMware Cloud Community
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to keep VM DRS Disabled after vMotion to a different cluster?

Disable DRS for a VM on the "VM Overrides" page in vSphere (see http://www.vmwarearena.com/disable-drs-for-a-vm/) for a single cluster. However, if the VM is migrated to a different cluster this setting is lost. Is there any way to maintain the "Disabled" setting when the VM is migrated to a different cluster?

pastedImage_0.png

5 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

On the virtual machine we want to migrate, the DRS ((Distributed Resource Scheduler) must be correctly disabled.

This is because the cluster no longer has to count it for the redistribution of the resources of the hosts that are part of the cluster of that virtual machine.

To be migrated, the vm must be excluded from the DRS cluster.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

I have not seen this document but I had similiar issues.

Our PDL and APD settings where not reflected properly. Worth checking if APD and PDL are maintained

I suggest you migrate the VM and use powercli to disable per VM basis.

With Great Regards,
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Scripting the migration would be effective IF we remember to use the script instead of performing a manual migration (or use some other script which lacks the VM's desired DRS settings).

I just need to emphasize that I want to maintain the VM DRS settings across clusters and not lose those settings regardless of future administrative actions taken.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

I cannot try in my lab but I have come across this situation that when we moved between the cluster, the target cluster settings apply. Sorry If I still not understood your problem.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do understand the problem.

It seems to be a limitation of vSphere that DRS settings default from the cluster and any VM moved to a cluster will inherit the DRS settings of the target cluster regardless of whether there were specific DRS settings per-VM on the source cluster.

We are running vSphere 6.5

Is this still a limitation of vSphere 6.7?

Maybe this should be an enhancement request for vSphere 7.0?

0 Kudos